Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Beautiful Wednesday

Our weather was fantastic today. It got up to 80° with lots of sunshine. We've got one more, tomorrow, to enjoy then the temperature is going to drop considerably over the weekend with lots of rain. At least they don't think we'll get any snow. I hope that's right! I'm not ready for winter, especially after enjoying today.

Bob and I spent the afternoon walking our cemetery. When daughter #2 was in town last weekend, she was out there trying to find her grandmother's grave (my mother). She called from her cell phone and I had to direct her to the right section. Therefore, I decided to map out the whole cemetery and find all the section numbers, then list family names in the different sections. I thought it would only take a short time since I knew where everyone was, but we were out there 3½ hours! Our cemetery is 80 acres in size. It wasn't an easy task, but well worth it. When I'm gone, my children & grandchildren will have this information along with all my genealogy records.

I have another cemetery, about 35 miles east of us, to search out so I can find family members buried over there. This is for my genealogy records. That cemetery will be hard to find, out in the country on the back roads, and I think it's been deserted, so we haven't tackled that yet. I'm hoping I can use my GPS to find it. Since the weather is going to be nice, I'm going to try to talk Hubby into taking a drive tomorrow.

I just heard from a friend on Facebook that we have an armed person, on the run, after robbing a pizza restaurant in town. So much for living in a small safe town. I don't think any town is safe anymore. Our town has a population of 20,000 and we used to be able to leave our doors unlocked. (I'm sure you've heard that before.) But my daughter lives "in the country" -- sort of -- but it used to be a village. Now I think their population is around 50. A few months ago they had a string of break-ins, that missed her's and the neighbor's house, thank God. She was scared. And I was scared for them all.

Well, it's almost midnight. I'm going to bed. I hope you had a great day. God bless.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your work in the cemetary and getting information for when you are gone. Jim owns a cemetary, of all things, in Alabama (where he was born and reared) and we both will be buried there. We have picked out the spot already! We are due to get severely cold weather next week, due to the hurrican Sandy that is approaching the east coast and Florida. We will go from 80+ to 30's...brrrr Have another nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,

    Back in the 70s, when I first got started on my geneology searches, I remember getting permission from a farmer to allow us to hike through his fields to an old cemetery on his property. He was very nice about it, and it was lots of fun to search the old tombstones for family members. You are doing a great thing for your kids and grandkids.

    You know I'm from a small Ohio town, too. I long for the days of front porch neighbors and unlocked doors. My childhood was so idylic compared to today. I think Sandy will miss us, here in Central Florida (thank goodness), but sorry you will get some nasty weather. Stay safe & warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compiling the cemetery information is a wonderful idea! I wish I could do that for my family.

    I hope they catch that guy before he does any more damage.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....