Thursday, June 13, 2013

I'm happy to report.........

I'm still here. We had been hearing reports for days about the possibility of horrible storms coming through Wednesday night. The more I heard, the more nervous I became, which is normal for me.

So yesterday, in preparation, I checked the flashlights and candle supply, and the refrigerator. Then I picked up my purse and headed out to the store. I bought food that could be eaten raw and cold.... salads, apples, lunch meat, peanut butter, bread, cereal, etc. When I got home, I put some chicken breasts in the oven and baked brownies. With the chicken, I could count on 2 more meals.

On June 29, 2012 we had one of these storms come through our area. It was called the "storm of the decade". High winds (a derecho), hail, torrential downpours, flooding, etc. That one tore off some roof shingles, knocked down tree limbs and power lines.  "As the storm tracked eastward into Indiana, it became a derecho and wind gusts increased substantially, peaking as high as 91 mph in Fort Wayne, equivalent to a Category 1 hurricane."  (Ft. Wayne is just 30 miles to our west.) We were without power for 2½ days, in the summer heat. Not much fun, but we got through it. And we did again last night. This time the worst of the storm went north of us and we have no damage.

Today is a whole new day and it's a beautiful one. We turned off the a/c and opened windows. The high today is to be around 77°. There's still a strong breeze but it feels so good.

Well, I better get off here. I have to run out to WalMart. We have a graduation to go to Saturday.
I hope you've had a great day.

3 comments:

  1. So glad it wasnt one of those severe storms and that you are ok. The sky looks beautiful. We have had hot weather, too hot for me, but it did rain a little and has cooled down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear that the bad weather missed you! Bonus having the chicken cooked and ready to eat for a couple of days! Enjoy the blue sky and gentle cooler breezes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see all was well with you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....