Thursday, October 31, 2013

Last Day of October 2013

In just a matter of a few hours, October will be history and we'll be thrown into the month of November which brings thoughts of all the holiday craziness. I'm not looking forward to it. Our summer weather, with the joys of being outdoors, left too quickly with very little warning. One day it was here --- the next day it was gone. That's depressing.

This post is in honor of a very special lady. Yesterday was my Hubby's mother's birthday. Frances would have been 101 yrs. old. This is a picture of her on her wedding day to Bob's father, Richard, on Feb. 14, 1935. She was 23 yrs. old.
Frances was a strong, loving woman... the "glue" that held her family together. She and Dick had 4 children which she adored -- Jack, Rick, my husband Bob the baby and one daughter, Colleen. Frances worked from the age of 12 to help support her family and continued to work all the years she and Dick were married. Her faith and her church, St. Mary's Catholic church here in town, was important to her. She always made sure her children were sparkling clean and in the pew with her every Sunday and every special mass in between. The last several years of her life, she was head cook for the church and the school. Even with the small food budget they had, she always managed to stretch it out and give the children a hot, healthy lunch every day. They all loved her.  Francis died on Mar. 13, 1966 of cancer.

Bob and I had been married 1 month and 1 day when she died. I had a mother-in-law for such a short time, but I'm so glad I got to spend time with her and got to know her during the 3 yrs. that Bob and I dated. I still miss her.

The good news today is the worst of the predicted storm is going south of us. It's not good for the people in that area because tornadoes are developing over them. All we're getting is a constant rain with the possibility of high winds this evening. The temperature is 63°, comfortable but wet.

I hope you're having a great day.
Until next time.........



4 comments:

  1. Carol, that is a beautiful tribute to your mother-in-law. I was happy that you got to know her while dating Bob, and that she was able to see him married to you. That is a blessing, indeed. Thanks for telling us about her on her birthday.

    Glad to hear the weather is going south of you, but that means it is hitting my family, down in central Ohio. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Love your new background.
    2. Nice tribute to your late MIL. She sounds like a wonderful mother, wife and friend. Glad you got to know her before she died. I am glad Halloween is over and now we are doing head first into Thanksgiving which seems to bring on Christmas...too fast. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you MIL was a wonderful woman indeed. Thanks for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....