Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day, Ladies. I hope you all are having a great day.

My tribute on this day is always to my mother.... Evelyn Jane (1918-1989). She was a strong, loving woman who would help anyone in need, doing whatever she could, from food, clothing, support or just a listening ear.

I wrote a bit about her the other day so I won't repeat myself today. Here's a look at the woman I called "Mom".

In 1921, my grandmother took her to a professional photographer for her first portrait. She had just turned 3 years old. ( I love this photo )


My father was drafted in the first months of WW2 and before he was shipped out to go overseas, he took this picture of Mom to take with him. This was 1943.


When Dad returned home 3 years later, they started their family. She was to have 3 children with him before he walked out on us. I'm the oldest, then my sister and brother. Our mother used every bit of her strength to raise us on her own after that, working a full time job, plus odd jobs now and then, cleaning other people's homes. I've always admired my mother's strength and will-power. She was an amazing woman. 

In 1980, when this picture was taken, we had all given her 7 grandchildren which she adored. (One grandson isn't in this picture at this time. He was born later. ) 


Mom died a few years later, (my father died the following year all alone), but a day doesn't go by that I don't miss her. The pain of that loss lessens as the years go by, but it's still there. No matter how old I get, I figure I'll never get too old that I'll not want my mother. She would be so proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren today. 

4 comments:

  1. She really was an amazing woman! And what a beautiful legacy she left behind. So sorry your father didn't stick around to enjoy y'all too. It was his loss because I can tell you turned out great! Thank you for sharing your lovely family with us. Hope you have a happy Mother's Day. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful tribute to your Mother, Carol. She was blessed to have all of you, and you were all blessed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought tears to my eyes, Carol. So many women had it hard (and still do) raising children alone. Today, there are so many agencies to help. Back then, first of all, it was embarrassing to ask for help, and second there wasn't that much available. God bless your mom for all she did. You have written a wonderful tribute to her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here trying to catch up on everyone today. I hope to post something of my own sometime today. I am enjoying everyone's posts about their mothers, yours had amazing strength! I also enjoyed your hodgepodge answers this week. I can relate to many of them. I'm so glad you were kept safe in that storm...'tis the time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....