Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend


It has always been a family tradition with us that on this weekend, to ring in a new summer season, we would get the whole family together in our backyard for a cook-out and yard games. For several years, when the grandkids were still young, we also had squirt gun battles that ended in "bucket" battles. It was always so much fun. Some good memories.

A few shots from one of our backyard parties (2010) .....

Grandson #5 

Grandpa always got in on the fun

Grandson #4 battling it out with his dad

Daughter #2 with her youngest son on the right

This year is another story. I guess we can't always keep things the same. And forgive me for being a little nostalgic today. Our holiday weekend this year is so much different. 

Daughter #1 is in Denver, CO with her son. Daughter #2, who lives in MI, is working the weekend and couldn't come down. 

Daughter #3 did have a backyard cook-out last evening and we went over. It was very different since I'm always the one to play host. We did have a good time

We met some new people so I didn't get very many pictures. I couldn't take any with them in the shot, not knowing how they would react, so all I have is those when my family was off out of the crowd. 


Grandson #6 was playing kick ball with one of the gals while Daughter #3, in the background, was throwing a Frisbee with her boyfriend. 

And, how appropriate, on this weekend we met a friend of their's, a young veteran who had spent 2 years in Iraq. Right away, he and my Hubby found several things in common. Bob is also a veteran from the Vietnam era. They spent almost 2 hours together, just talking. This young man, Ryan, has PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), but is getting better, thanks to the support group he attends. He's finally able to talk about some of the things his unit did, the people he worked with, but none of the horrible things he saw. He just kept saying those things changed him and he'll never be able to forget, but he said the thoughts and images are beginning to come less frequent. 
Ryan talking with Bob

He also told Bob he was now in school taking classes to be an EMT. My hubby was also an EMT for years, so they found another common ground. On the drive home, Bob was very quiet. I knew this young man had touched him deeply, but all he'd say was "he's still hurting". Meeting a young man like this, if he feels comfortable talking to a stranger, you just listen.... don't ask questions, just let him talk. And I'd say he was comfortable sharing a lot with Bob. 

So, with that, I'll close. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend with sunshine and smiles. 

Until next time.............. 

3 comments:

  1. Our holidays are different these days too. We always had a backyard cookout and the kids played and we sat around the fire, enjoyed watching them play. Today only one of my children has called, so I guess all we have are the memories. Glad they are good ones tho, arent you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family never has been the gathering kind. And those of us left have been scattered to the winds. Like usual, it's just me, Hubby and the dawgs. It's way too hot with biting bugs already to be outside for more than a few minutes. :) Looks like y'all have fun though! Hope this weekend is equally joyful for you all.
    God bless. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holidays are usually just another day for us, now. Of course, we had a great time down in Naples, but today was just laundry, some pool time, some yard work (very little) and not much else. I miss the big family get-togethers, with yard games, noisy kids, laughter and homemade ice cream. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....