Thursday, May 15, 2014

♪ ♫ Thursday Tunes ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

I wonder if there is anyone on the face of this earth that would say they don't like music of any kind. I can't fathom that.

As I was growing up, music was always there in the background - in the house, in the car, everywhere I went, and I always found something in each song I heard, no matter how old I was, that I could sing to or dance to. I might not have been good at it, but I could make the moves and the noises.

In the late 1940's through the 1950's, as I was going through my early, informative years, I heard so many different genre of songs. Mother always had on the radio or played her vinyl records on her record player. I grew up listening to the Big Bands, Swing music. She didn't sing, she whistled. I can still hear her and it brings fond memories. As a result, my favorites during those years were Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman (and Gene Krupa's drums). I still can't keep my feet still when I hear this.



In the 1960's, I was a teenager and the music changed. There was Chubby Checker, Elvis Presley, The Ventures, Roy Orbison and Brenda Lee, just to name a few.



That was also a sad time, with the Viet Nam war and my school mates being drafted, worried we'd never see them again. And the music changed.



In the 1970's, I was a young mother, a stay-at-home mom (which I loved). I had our 8-track collection that played most of the day. We had the Village People, Blondie, The Who, Roberta Flack and Barbra Streisand.



The 1980's brought a new sound. As I was getting older, my tastes in music just couldn't keep up with the new songs coming out. There were very few I would listen to. That's when I turned to country-western music. It was during this time I found Waylon Jennings, Mickey Gilley, Charlie Pride and Kenny Rogers.



When the 1990's came around, I was pretty much hanging onto the country-western songs. The new music during that time was the rock and hip-hop (with dirty words) that I didn't care for and still don't, even though I heard it on my daughters' stereos and car radios.

Which brings me to the new century, 2000 to today, and my music tastes have changed a lot. Now I'm listening to classical. Back in 1970, if you would have told me that I would be listening to it when I reach my 60's, I would have argued with you. However, it's true. My tastes have turned to Chopin, Beethoven, Albinoni and some Tchaikovsky.



So, to all the music lovers out there, I hope I have touched on some of your music memories. With your favorite tunes playing in the background, tell me what you're listening to.

Until next time.......

3 comments:

  1. I am so much like you. I cant carry a tune if I tried, but absolutely love music....all kinds of music...except today's sounds. Not only can I not understand the words they are saying, but it hurts my ears and I get a headache just listening. It sounds like drums from the dark jungles and has no meaning. Give me the good old days any time. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this is creepy (in a nice way). I have made the same progression through music even though I am a few years behind you. And the music mentioned does bring back a lot of memories. I have also progressed to classical from REAL country music. The modern country music is talentless and whatever the other is called is too demonic. *shudder* Classical soothes the savage beast and helps me sleep at night.
    Hope your evening is a soothing one. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great walk down the music memory lane!! I had my country period in the 80s. I also remember my mom singing with the radio as she worked in the kitchen. Loved this post, Carol!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....