Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday Nov. 9, 2012

I tried to think of a word that would go with "Friday" to describe my day, but I couldn't think of one. All of my days are just 'quiet'. I probably should enjoy them while they last. The holidays are approaching fast and then my days will be busy.

This morning I had to work. I talked to our ad rep at our local paper about our auction ad. Then my boss sent me more work to do for him. That took most of my morning.

Then this afternoon Bob and I went to the store to buy some baby things. No, it's not me. HaHaHa. My niece (my sister's daughter) is going to have her first grandchild. That will make my sister a great-grandmother. Wow! And I'm older than her. My grandchildren aren't ready to be parents. I hope. Anyways, the girls are throwing Ashley a baby shower Sunday.

Our weather was fairly nice today. Sunshine and 60°. Not normal Nov. weather for us. I can remember one November day when our weather wasn't normal either. In fact it turned deadly. The temperature went up into the high 70's and the sun was shining. We were all enjoying it until the storm sirens went off. They screamed for almost an hour. It was terrifying.

Nov. 12, 2002....
"F4 tornado damage at Van Wert, Ohio (winds 207 to 260 mph). Tornado touched down near Willshire and moved northeast for 53 miles to central Henry County.  The tornado lifted near Malinta, Ohio.  F4 damage occurred on Lincoln Highway west of Van Wert.  F4 damage also occurred at the intersection of Dull-Robinson and Zook roads.  There was one fatality at this location, as well as an injury.  A couple was in the upstairs portion of their home.  As the tornado approached the husband attempted to cover his wheelchair-bound wife.  As he was doing this the home was hit, and a projectile struck the husband in the back of his head.  His wife was sent to the hospital in critical condition.  Another casualty occurred when the tornado swept a car off the road near Van Wert's Twin Cinemas, killing the driver inside."

My husband and son-in-law were standing out front of our house in the street, looking for signs of a tornado. I was standing in the doorway. I had my daughter and 2 grandchildren in the hall, with blankets and pillows. I was watching my husband outside. Then I saw both of them turn and run for the house. When I saw their faces turn white I knew we were in trouble. The tornado was almost 3 miles wide and crossing our street a mile down. That's when it turned and followed the creek and hit the movie cinemas just a mile over from our house. Another smaller funnel broke off from the big one and came over our house. There was some amazing stories that came out later about the movie theater. Several miracles took place that day. But it was also the scariest day of my life. During all this, my phone rings. My brother in Texas was listening to his satellite radio and heard the announcement. He calls to make sure we're ok. He had no idea the tornado was just a mile from us. 

I have no idea why I got started on that subject. 

What am I thankful for? In the spirit of this story, I have to say.... I'm thankful that God kept us all safe.
Psalms 91:11 ... I stood on His promise that day.





 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful you were kept safe as well! Prayers that your quiet returns to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma lives in Xenia, Ohio, and that seems to be an alley-way for tornadoes. Scary stuff. At least with hurricanes, we know days in advance that one is coming and we have time to prepare. Tornadoes just happen, with little of no warning. I have a friend in Oklahoma, and they just built a storm shelter in their back yard, partially underground. Hope your nice weather doesn't bring another tornado!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....