Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A very special day...


Today is a National Holiday, Abraham Lincoln's 204th birthday, Feb. 12, 1809, so I thought I'd look up an interesting fact about the man. 
1) Abraham Lincoln hardly ever used his pockets. His stovepipe top hat served as more than fashionable head-wear. He used it to store and carry notes, letters, even bills.

2) Lincoln was spiritual, not religious. He said he was still a Christian. He didn’t, however, feel it necessary to subscribe to a particular brand of Christianity. Though many different sects try to claim him, Lincoln was 100% non-denominational. He never joined a church, didn’t say grace before meals, and spoke on a more spiritual level, rather than religious. He did read the Bible quite often, and did have a highly developed spiritual governance. When asked if he thought the Lord was on the side of the North in the Civil War, Lincoln responded, “I am not at all concerned about that…But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord’s side.”


Today is also a special day for Bob and I. It's our 47th anniversary. Every year I feel shocked that it's been THAT long ago, but I'm also grateful that we are still together. He's my best friend, always has been. I'm so fortunate to have him.  I don't have any little known facts to report on him, though.  


When I think back on our first days, it is amazing that we are still together. Most  couples today wouldn't make it through the first year with problems like we had. Things were so hard for us. One month and one day after we got married, Bob's mother died. That was a horrible time for him. He took it hard. Also I was just starting out as a beautician with a very small list of clients and Bob worked in a factory, making only $85 a week. We lived in a small 4 room apartment. My mother could barely afford to buy me a dress, so Bob took care of the wedding expenses and getting all our furniture and everything that newly weds needed to start out. But we did make it though, in spite of, or because of, everything we had to face together.

I didn't have to cook tonight. We went to Bob Evans for supper. Granted, it was not a 5-star restaurant, or even candle lit, but that didn't matter. It was still nice.
 

Our weather today wasn't too bad. A little sunshine, off and on, with the temperature around 42°. It actually felt good. 

Hope you had a good day.
Good-night

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Carol & Bob! You know, I think couples who start out like that, with a few struggles and hardship, grow stronger together, than some today who start out with a big house full of designer furniture. I would much rather celebrate in a restaurant like Bob Evans, than an expensive place with candles on the table. "Fancy" is sort of lost on me (!!!). Interesting about Lincoln. Thanks for sharing those facts about a fascinating man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary and hope you have many more years together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated anniversary! Today's couples can sure take a lesson from you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....