Friday, May 3, 2013

The end of another week

It is beautiful today. The sky is that blue color I love so much with just a few of the 'brush stroke" clouds and lots of sunshine.

Our temperature is a comfortable 75°. The forecast says we may have a rainy weekend tho'. I guess all the flowers coming up may welcome it.

I can safely say that spring has sprung.

Last year we went from the furnace to the air conditioning in one day. This is more like normal. I'm thankful for this weather.

I was outside yesterday looking at all the work we need to do on the flower beds.
I've only got a few tulip bulbs left after the rabbits found them.

A neighbor down the street had a big fat rabbit that lived in the house. When the kids got tired of it, they let it loose. Needless to say, she found a mate so we had quite a few hungry ones running around the backyards.

Then the last couple summers we haven't seen any. I didn't buy any bulbs to replace them because I felt it was no use in doing so. Consequently, these flowers are the only ones to survive.

I checked out the peonies too. They're growing like weeds, as usual. It won't be long and we'll have some big pink blooms.

More sirens! It seems we are hearing them more often now that the weather is warming up, not that that has anything to do with it. Maybe it's because my windows are open. This one was another fire truck that went flying past the house just now. They stopped at a house about 4 blocks down.

I don't know how the fire department is getting down our street. The street crew started working on W. Main street this past Monday. They've got the first 6 blocks barricaded and tore up. It's the main thoroughfare to the west side of town. This is the first phase of the construction.

Phase 2 will be the biggest problem. We don't know how they're going to handle the traffic. That part of the street runs in front of 2 factories and several businesses. They have to keep part of it open because they can't keep all those folks from getting to and from work. We're talking a couple thousand people coming and going on that part of town. The town is estimating the project to take over 7 months to complete but on all the others they were short by a few weeks. Oh, well, it has to be done. We get a lot of semi trucks going to the factories and they've torn up the pavement bad. It will be interesting to watch.

Our grandson came in yesterday and spent the afternoon with us. He's the one that just got home from college. He brought us a big can of chocolate-covered almonds.And we gave him a new cell phone. Fair trade? Sure. He's our baby.

In an earlier post I mentioned that we had him on our cell phone plan. So when his phone went bad, I searched Verizon's site and found the phone he wanted for FREE. Easy on our checkbook.

He was pleased. We got it activated then he played with it for a long time, getting his ringtone set, his contacts, his wallpaper, etc. etc. This old grandma did good.

That's all I have to report for now. I hope you are having a great day.


3 comments:

  1. I think road crews are working on every other street everywhere...lol So glad spring is finally there and you will see the flowers bloom. I bet your grandson was tickled with the phone...they cant be without them these days it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would trade chocolate covered nuts of any kind for a cell phone, I think!! ;)

    Glad your weather is getting better! How sad that your neighbors just turned their bunny out. People who do things like that should NEVER be allowed to have an animal again. Grrrr!

    Wishing you a good weekend, Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to help your grandson get a phone - I'm sure he's so pleased. Love the photo of the toddler on the piano!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....