Meteorologists are tracking a so-called derecho weather pattern in
the Midwest that could spawn severe windstorms in several major
metropolitan areas, with gusts as strong as 100 mph.
The National
Weather Service says derechoes occur once or twice a year in the central
U.S. with winds of at least 75 mph. The storms maintain their intensity
for hours as they sweep across vast distances, and can trigger
tornadoes and large hail.
Meteorologists say the windstorms could
hit from South Dakota to Pennsylvania over the next two days, including
the Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh metro areas.
That is the forecast we're hearing for our area tomorrow. We had a storm like that June 2012. It was awful. The roar of the wind just about drove me crazy. We watched our trees lean, neighbors trash cans flying by and Bob having to hold onto our grandson's belt trying to get him in the back door. The boy was so scared, but now laughs about it.
He had been on his way to work when he came upon the police at one intersection, telling people to turn around and go home. Curtis's first thought was to get to our house. I'm so glad he did. I almost panicked as I watched him trying to get to our door. The wind was blowing him all around. I yelled for Bob. When Curtis got to the door, Bob grabbed onto his belt and literally pulled him into the house. Now they're saying we may have another one tomorrow.
I think I'm prepared this time. We've got full charges in both our cell phones. I'm plugging in my Kindle tonight. I have candles and flashlights and food we can eat cold. Last June it took down power lines all over town and we spent 2½ days in the dark.
I'm already thinking about what I can do to keep myself from climbing the walls if the power does go out. I can practice my lesson, but I just realized something. One more draw-back to having an electric keyboard instead of a piano.... power! But I got that covered. I have batteries. So I'm good. I think my nerves are getting frazzled already, so working on my music lesson will be good therapy.
I called my sister-in-law Elaine this evening to see how she was doing. I talked to Jack (Bob's brother). She's still in the hospital, but she's doing better. She may get to come home tomorrow but she'll be on a walker for a few days because she still can't put much weight on that leg. Her Dr. did call it "cat scratch fever". That's what I thought from her symptoms. I've seen it before. Years ago a friend almost lost her arm from a cat bite, or worse, her life. It's dangerous.
I guess that's all to report for today. I hope you had a good day.
Oh my, Carol! I'm happy you are prepared for another bad storm, but sorry to hear you will be going through it. Let's hope for minimal damage and no power outages! Please keep us posted, as you can. I'll lift some prayers for you and everyone in the path of that nasty weather! Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteI'll keep you in my prayers regarding that storm! Let me know you're safe when you can get back online.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I'm glad you consider your music lesson good therapy - just what every teacher wants to hear! :)
Delete