Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Carol's Hodgepodge for July 17th

My hodgepodge post for the week:

1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard?  Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel?
I haven't received a postcard in so long, I can't even venture a guess when the last one was ... Unless you count the one I received from a cable company marked "Occupant". I used to send postcards back here to my mother whenever we went on vacation. Every store we went into, I would buy up a few interesting ones on the area where we were. But since I haven't had a vacation in umpteen years, I haven't sent one since. 

2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?
That would have to be the local cuisine. I had my first bowl of grits on one of our trips south and when we went to Texas to see my brother and his family, I indulged on several Tex-Mex dinners. I also can get carried away with the gifts and souvenirs I want to take home with me. A few years ago my sister and I took the train to Texas to see our brother. We took along an empty suitcase to bring souvenirs home with us.
 
3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?
Nope... never have been. My emotions show on my face. It takes a lot for my feelings to surface, but when they do everyone around me knows it. I'm doing better at controlling my temper, but when my family sees it in my face, they run. (not really)

4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home?
Yes, we still get new phone books every year, delivered to the door in a plastic bag with the hole-handle they put on the outside door knob, just like they've always done. Since I work from home, I also have the phone books from other neighboring towns. When we need a local business, we always open the back of the book to the yellow pages. 

5. Would you rather be first or last?
If I didn't have to choose, I would rather be in the middle but I'll say last. I don't want to be first because I may be wrong. I don't want to be last because I may lose you. Like the quote: "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." 

6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park?  Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?
Our little town has 4 parks and I've been in all of them recently. The largest park is just a few blocks from my house. I'll walk down and through the park for exercise. There is also a nature section of the park with a butterfly house. I always stop to see what's going on. There's also 4 ball diamonds that have games going on almost every evening. The other 3 parks: the one to the south is in the woods; the one to the north contains 2 more ball diamonds and a picnic area; the last one is Fountain Park, uptown, where the summer concerts are held. We love our parks.

7.  What was one of your worst ideas?
Buying that light beige carpet for the living room. I should have had someone kick some sense into me. I don't know what made me think I would be able to keep it nice and pretty. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Why is it that when I feel like getting out and going for a nice long walk, it's either too hot, too cold, raining or snowing?

5 comments:

  1. It's way too hard to walk here too, even in the evenings. The humidity just hangs in the air. Glad you played along today. It was fun to read your anwers! Happy Wednesday : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can barely make it to the mailbox and back, so dont even try any more. The old back and legs wont cooperate. Also, the humidity takes your breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have light beige carpet in our family room, too...definitely not a good idea, especially with two dogs in the house! Hey...I'm having a giveaway! Please stop by my blog and enter! Would love to have you join in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the walking! It's been especially that way this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right that our answers are very similar, Carol! I enjoy Hodgepodge Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....