Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hodgepodge Wednesday

Today is another Hodgepodge Wednesday.


1. Share one way you think the world has changed for the better since you were a kid?
The accessibility of information. When I was in school, the only source of information available was an old encyclopedia or a trip to the library, where I spent hours searching through books to find what I needed for an assignment. Today, all we need to do now is a few clicks of a mouse and we can find so much information (right or wrong).

2. How 'bout one way it's changed for the worse?
Access to computers and the internet has created a generation that has trouble thinking on their own, or have the ability to do things logically. You would have trouble finding one teen-ager who can solve a math problem without a calculator.

3. Starlight, starfish, starling, Starbucks...your favorite 'star'?
Starlight ---- I'm a "sky watcher". I love to look at the clouds during the day and the stars at night.

4. Name a song that's overplayed, but you love it anyway.
I can't think of one. I love music and whatever I hear playing is 'new' to my ears. 

5. When did you last have home made ice cream? Your latest favorite flavor?
Last winter. We have a small counter-top ice cream freezer. My favorite is vanilla. There's so many different things you can do with vanilla -- chocolate syrup, caramel, banana split, or just plain. 

6. What do you think is the best way to inspire or motivate people?
I think to inspire someone is to point out their talents and give them encouragement. In my own life, I'm attempting something that I never thought I could do. It was the encouragement of family and friends that gave me the courage to attempt it. And I'm so glad I did. 


7. When was the last time you were without power?
2 weeks ago... we mysteriously lost power to just HALF of the house. After a long search to find the problem, and thinking it had to be just us since the neighbors weren't affected, hubby gets an electrician to come down. He searches and does some testing then tells us it has to be outside. We got the power company down, they went up on the pole and 30 seconds later, (plus $130.00 to the electrician) we had our power back.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
When I was in high school -- more years ago than I want to admit -- I played the clarinet in band. I quit after a couple years, but I did learn to read music, so it wasn't a total waste of time. Now I have a grandson who is going into band and wants to play the clarinet. I got inspired and dug out my old one. After cleaning and greasing the corks, I put it together and so many memories came back. I didn't have any good reeds so I couldn't play it, but I felt like I still knew how. Remarkable. 

3 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your hidden talents! I love getting to know my friends that I blog with, especially you...we seem to like some of the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your answers, Carol, and I'm glad you have joined in on Hodgepodge! I played trumpet in band, and still have an old cornet that I play every once in awhile. I swore I would never forget the Star Spangled Banner, and our school's fight song - played them both over and over. I can still play them from memory! It is remarkable! Like riding a bike, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you with the clarinet! My hubs played the trumpet for years, and now our nephew is playing. Hubs tried my nephew's and now he's looking on ebay for one of his own : ) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....