Saturday, July 20, 2013

Noisy outside

The cicadas are back! And it sure is noisy outside. If you've ever heard them, you know what I'm talking about. At this time every year, we hear them in their mating call. Hundreds of them singing every evening before the sun goes down. They've emerged from their shells, climbed the trees and call for a mate. It's that sound we hear. It can be so annoying, especially if we're outdoors for any length of time.

You may have seen or heard in the news lately that "this is the year of the cicadas". They are talking about the return of a species of cicadas that has a life cycle of 17 years.Those little buggers have been underground for 17 years and have made their way to the surface to mate, then die. Their babies won't be back until the year 2030. And that's fine with me. I was going to post a picture of one of them for your pleasure, but they're such ugly bugs, I couldn't do it.

We haven't done anything worthwhile all day. Oh, I take that back... I did do a load of laundry, but I wasn't going to talk about our dirty clothes today.

The cold front came through our area today. Ahead of it was a downpour that dumped 1.6" of rain on us and flooded our patio. Over where Daughter #3 lives, they got 3.1" in just a few minutes.

Did you ever get a pesky house fly that you just couldn't catch? I had seen it off and on since yesterday afternoon but then I'd lose it. Today I was practicing the piano with the headphones on and that stupid fly landed on my nose. I got the fly swatter, but of course I couldn't find it, so I laid it on the stand beside me and continued with my practice. He came back. I still couldn't find him. I then moved on to another song and he didn't bother me. I practiced that one for several uninterrupted minutes. When I went back to that first song again, there he was, buzzing my face. I think it was the vibration of certain notes on the keyboard. I may be wrong, but it was weird and very distracting. I had to quit. I am happy to report, tho' that I got him later. He won't do that anymore.

It looks like the topic of the day was bugs. Sorry about that.

I will leave now. I'm going to watch the rest of 48 Hours then go to bed. Got church in the morning.


Take care. God bless. ♥

3 comments:

  1. I know the cicadas you speak of, I remember them mostly from my youth when I lived in the Denver area. Here we have frogs...just as bad, maybe worse LOL!

    That's the first time I ever heard that excuse for not practicing LOL!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, we don't get the cicadas down here, but I well remember the last infestation up in Virginia. You couldn't walk outside without stepping on them. There were recipes on TV that used cicadas and people were actually eating them. Yuck! Yes to the fly driving you crazy. Fortunately, we don't get too many flies down here, either. Let's not talk about palmetto bugs, lizards, frogs, snakes.... we have plenty of those. Glad you got the fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How well I do remember those cicadas...drive you nuts when they are chirping. Glad you got that fly...they drive me nuts too when they get in the house. Hope you had a good church service this morning, we sure did.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....