Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thursday, July 25, 2013

We are having another beautiful day.
The temperature and low humidity makes it so much more comfortable out there.

This weather has helped both of us with the things we've been wanting to do. I was out on the shady side of the house earlier and pulled some weeds from the flower bed.

Bob's been working in the garage on the riding mower that's been stored in the shed. His brother came over last evening and helped him tear it down to see if the starter is bad. Today he's running around town to several places to see what's available and whether to put any money into it.

I had something happen last evening that I've never seen before. I had gotten a box mix at the store
last week, Betty Crocker Cinnamon Streusel muffins, that I thought I'd bake up. On the back of the box was also the directions for making a loaf instead of muffins. I decided to do the loaf. I got everything out and followed the directions. It called for 1/2 cup of water in the list of ingredients. I added that. Then the directions said to add the eggs and milk. Wait a minute! Milk?? That's the first time I've run into mistakes in the directions on a box. But it turned out ok. The milk would have given it a richer taste, but the water made it less fattening too. With fewer calories, I can have 2 slices instead of one. Right?

Before our #2 daughter moved to Michigan, she lived in a little town south of us, about 70 miles. On our way to see her, we always passed this fabulous building.

This is a picture I took from the car as we were turning the corner. Bob slowed down so I could get a clear shot.  This has always fascinated me. I'd love to see the inside.

From Wikipedia -- "Saint Charles Seminary was a Catholic seminary run by the C.P.P.S (secular priests and brothers who lived in the community) located in Carthagena, Ohio. The first buildings on the site of Saint Charles Seminary were the former buildings of the Emlen Institute. The institute was a board school for African-American youth (children of run-away slaves). In 1861 the missionaries of the Precious Blood purchased 200 acres of land since the institute had failed and the grounds and building had fallen into disuse.  (PS. the failure was caused by local folks threatening the blacks and forcing them out of the area). The first building constructed on the premises was called the Old Abbey. In 1878 a new building was constructed and became the seminary. Then, in 1922, the construction of the seminary was completed which replaced a lot of the functions of the Old Abbey and previous seminary. Around this time enrollment peaked at 120 students.

The seminary closed in 1969 as a consequence of declining enrollment. Theology students for the order now study at the Catholic Theological Union in Chicago.  In order to accommodate the retiring priests, which peaked in 1980s and 1990s, the former seminary was converted into a retirement home. Today the center is now in the process of being converted into a retirement home for lay seniors as well."
And that, my friends, is your history lesson for today. :)

I better close this out and get back to the kitchen. I've had a roast cooking for a couple hours now and my house smells so good. I have to get supper finished so Bob can get to his meeting tonight.

I hope you've had a great day. Until next time..................

3 comments:

  1. That certainly is an interesting building. It looks old and European, I think! Nice that it will help retired religious find a home there.

    Interesting that the recipe called for water for the muffins and milk for the loaf. Hmmmmm. Wonder why exactly, when the water worked fine for you?

    Your weather sounds delightful. Jealous here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting building! I'd LOVE to see the inside.

    I guess mistakes can happen anywhere...keeps us on our toes. ;)

    Roast dinner with cinnamon bread for dessert sounds really good!! I bet your house does smell wonderful!

    I hope you had a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful bldg., and I would like a peek inside too! Bet the loaf was good, even with water instead of milk. Have a good Friday and weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....