My day was just starting and I got hit with enough drama and sorrow to last a week. That's what I get for complaining about my quiet, event-less life. I don't like the drama, so I'll take back my quiet life, please.
I hadn't even gotten my eyes opened, or that first cup of coffee when I get a message from my daughter that got married last year and now lives in Michigan. They didn't have a wedding reception, so they're planning a celebration next week, on their first anniversary, back here with family and friends. She just realized this morning that she had a wrong phone number on the invitations she sent out. She doesn't know how many people got it since she worked several days writing and addressing them all. Now she's all upset that she made (in her words) "such a stupid mistake".
An hour later our youngest daughter came in, all upset. She ranted and cried over several things in the few minutes she was here. I had started this writing by going into all the details, then decided to not bore you. So, in a nutshell she talked about:
1) Our grandson, her son, in Columbus at OSU, has big money problems and may have to quit school.
2) Her car needs repaired
3) She's scared her ex might not bring her boys home Sunday.
4) She's been laid up the last several days with pneumonia. Today was her first day back to work.
Then on top of all this, while she was crying, she got a message from work that one of her clients died last night. She cried even harder. I had to calm her down. Her nerves and emotions are all tied up.
And I just got a message from her ---- she was just pulled over for doing 70mph in a 55mph zone.
She worries me. I don't know how much more she can handle. Would you say a prayer for her?
What a way to end an otherwise good week! I don't know why I feel the need to write out all of these things and share them with anyone. Maybe it's a catharsis. I realize none of this is beyond control or life threatening, but I also know when problems come in large bunches, it's a threat to our emotional well-being.
My daughters are good girls and I raised them in a loving, stable environment. Taught them right from wrong. Plus we all attended church as a family. They are still church-goers and love the Lord. I know He's watching over them, but I still worry. It seems they are always facing problems coming at them in huge bunches. To them it feels like they never get a break. It's always something going wrong. As a parent, I still want to shelter them and solve their problems, but I can't. Their problems are all too big. They'll tell me "if it weren't for bad luck, I've have no luck at all". That's the way it's been all their adult life. I don't understand. Why do some people seem to have problems follow them everywhere they go? Nothing they do can stop it. I would love, just for once, to see them all happy at the same time.
Oh my dear friend, I am so sorry to hear your news. It just doesnt seem fair when the whole bottom drops out at one time. I am like you, I want to solve their problems, and 'make it all better' too, but we cant. We can be there for them, listen to them, help if possible and pray. I will definitely pray for both girls and pray God will take care of them soon.
ReplyDeleteCarol, you can count on my prayers, too. I agree with Linda that it is so hard, especially when so many things happen at once. It all goes back to making choices, I think, and sometimes a bad choice just keeps getting worse and worse. Praying for things to turn around for both girls and your grandson at OSU. You are doing the right thing, to listen and be their calm place in the storm. Praying for you, too.
ReplyDeleteOh I so understand what you mean about worrying about our kids - no matter how old they get! It is strange how some just seemed to get dumped on more than others'. Perhaps God is just making sure they will trust Him through anything.
ReplyDelete