Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hodgepodge Wed. 8-21-2013

1. What's your worst food memory?  How about one of your best?

My worst was whenever I was pregnant, I could not make gravy. No matter what I did or how hard I tried, it always came out so thick you could cut it with a fork. After 43 years, it's still a family joke. If my gravy turns out a little thick or lumpy, my girls will ask "is Mom pregnant?" 


2. Do you appreciate people telling it like it is, or would you rather a speaker temper his/her words and maybe beat around the bush a little?  How about when you're the one communicating...which type are you?

I have that tendency to speak before I think. It can be bad but people know where I stand. I sometimes appreciate people telling it like it is, as long as it's not harmful. Those that beat around the bush can drive me crazy. 

3. What's your favorite place to hang out?

Hang out? I can't say I do that anymore. We do have a favorite restaurant where we sometimes go with family or friends. We have been known to shut down the place at night -- go in for supper and leave before they turn out the lights. lol But other than that, I hang out in my computer room/home office, which is complete with a soft chair, TV, stereo and of course, my computer and other electronic gadgets that I like. Oh, and my new acquisition --- my electronic keyboard, which I'm learning to play.  That's my idea of a hang-out.

4. When do you most feel like you're a slave to time?

The perfect example would have to be when I was still working. Those last couple hours in the day would drag on so slow but I couldn't leave until the clock said I could. I hated that. But, now that I'm retired, the only thing I can think of is when I'm all ready to go somewhere but it's too early to leave. Then I feel I'm a slave to time. I know that's not much of an answer, but that's my life. I do feel bad for these young mothers today who have to get too many activities fitted into their allotted time. Those are the ones who are truly a slave to time and an active family.

5. What was the last concert you attended?  Who'd you go with? Was it any good?

I've never been to a concert. I can hear you now ----- never? That's right. I've never been to a concert. I grew up in the 50's and 60's when most concerts were in the big cities. I never felt the desire to drive several hours to see someone who was already in my living room on a vinyl disk. :)

6. Reality TV...harmful or harmless?  What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to reality TV?

Oh, my.... I could go on and on about this subject. There are so many reality shows on TV that are positively ridiculous. Hubby has a few he watches, like storage wars, which isn't too bad, I guess. But when I think of reality shows I think of Survivor and Big Brother. Those shows have a huge following but I think the people on them are disgraceful. If they are normal, by our current society's definition, then we are in trouble. They're childish, self-centered, back-biting "kids" and each season they get worse. I think they are harmful for our younger people, showing them that this behavior is OK, normal. 

7. What's something you think is overrated?

Hybrid cars.... I've read articles on them, namely the Prius because I like the looks of those so I checked them out. In one article (that I saved) they listed the disadvantages:  1) There is not usually a return on the investment. 2) The fuel and emissions saved over a 30mpg car is not that significant. 3) Hybrid automobiles are completely dependent on gasoline. 4) Replacing hybrid batteries may cost about $10,000. 5) Large lead acid, and metal hydride batteries are not earth friendly. I feel right now they are very over-rated. I won't be buying one.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I've been working since last evening on a grocery list and dreading the thoughts of going to WalMart today. That was my first thought when I opened my eyes this morning, then we got hit with a horrible thunder storm. The lightning was awful. I won't go out there when there's rain because we always have to park so far from the door. But it looks like the rain is moving off to the east, so we'll be heading out soon. I hate going to Wally World. 
 


4 comments:

  1. Reality shows make the hair on the back of my neck stand up....they disgust me. Give me a show with a story or something more than looking at somebody's way to get their hair cut or how bad some have it in prison. I dont care. They did the crime, let them do the time - alone. I wont go to Wally World unless I absolutely have to, so I hear your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our answers are always so close, Carol! I know we would be great "in-person" friends if we lived closer! Your story about your gravy is priceless! What a great family story and memory! I dislike going to Walmart, too, but we really enjoy the prices on some of the staples we have to keep in the house, including cat food! Necessary evil. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the car information...
    hope the trip to WW ended up not being so bad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of straight talkers in the Hodgepodge it seems. I do my best to avoid WalMart. I mostly succeed : ) Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....