Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Hodgepodge Wed. Aug. 28, 2013
It's another Wednesday, so that means another Hodgepodge list of questions from Joyce.
How to join the Hodgepodge fun.
1. Labor Day weekend (in the US of A) is approaching...what's something you've labored over this year?
That is a difficult question. There's been SO many things I've labored over this year, from the smallest one-day jobs to the ones that's been in progress for the last few months. However, the only thing I can think of isn't actually a labor. Well, I guess it is. It's a labor of love. I finally have a dream come true. I've labored over piano lessons. Most days are fun; others are true labor.
2. What is one word to describe your 'job' or career?
Always on duty --- I know that's not one word, but that's the smallest description that I could think of. I'm retired from my paying job, but my career is still alive and well. That would be a wife/mother/grandmother. That's the career I chose in 1963 and I've never regretted one moment since then. With a husband, 3 grown daughters and 7 grandchildren, my duties are on call 24/7 and I wouldn't have it any other way. They all make me happy I'm here.
3. What was your worst or least favorite job ever? Why?
I tried working in a factory and it was awful. The pressure of keeping up to speed with the others almost drove me crazy. I'm a laid-back kind of person, so when I was thrown into a situation where I had a supervisor watching over my shoulder, heaving big sighs of disappointment, and the ladies working the same line of manufacturing beside me, yelling for me to "hurry it up", I was in tears. If they hadn't let me go, I would have done it myself. However, I applaud those ladies in factories. It takes a special kind of person to do the work.
4. How do you measure contentment?
Contentment is defined as “satisfaction with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else” and contentment is “ease of mind.” We are always surrounded with advertising telling us if we bought their product, we'd be happy. Material items does NOT produce happiness. Too many people today look at others around them, seeing their life, then they wish their life was more like their's. "I wish I was happy like she is." If truth be known, that smiling person 'with the perfect life' isn't as happy as they think. For me, it's the ease of mind. I may not have all I want, but I have all I NEED.
5. Pickles- like or dislike? What is something you eat that requires a pickle? Dill, bread and butter, sweet gherkins...what's your favorite kind of pickle?
I used to love pickles, but I don't eat many now. My favorite was always the orange strips. I like dill slices on a burger once in awhile, but that's about all. Oh, I have to have sweet relish in my potato salad. :)
6. In your current house-town-state, what is it you like living close to?
That would be my family and friends. Both my husband and I were born in this little town of only 12,000 people and we've stayed. Our brothers and sisters are still here. Our children (2 of them anyways) still live here. Plus our grandchildren are here. We couldn't live anywhere else.
7. What is one thing on your 'want-to-do' list before summer draws to an official close?
I want to take a vacation, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen -- again.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do a blog today because my day started out with this computer. I was getting all kinds of error messages. I got so frustrated trying to find the problem until I finally had to walk away from it. I sat down in the living room, feeling as if I was in mourning. Over a computer? I've had this happen before but I stayed with it until I had it fixed. Today I just couldn't handle it so hubby took over. He got it fixed, but for me, it was an eye-opener........ I'm addicted !!! I wonder if there's any support groups for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I completely understand how you felt about your computer. Mine got an awful virus a couple of weeks ago that couldn't be fixed at home. I took it to the shop that day even though there was stuff that needed done more. There really should be a 12-step program. lol I think it's awesome that you're learning to play the piano. :)
ReplyDeleteI know it's awful, but I'm addicted too - especially since we no longer have TV, it's my only connection to the outside world.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could work in a factory either, we're too much alike, you and I.
LOL - We're your support group, so don't go away!! Carol, I couldn't work in a factory, either, but God bless all those who do! I enjoyed learning more about you on Hodgepodge Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteI think we're all a little addicted : ) I hope I get to live near my children and future grandchildren one day. I'm spending the weekend with 2/3 of my sibs so that will be fun. We're not in the same town, but we're getting together nearby.
ReplyDelete