Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wed. Hodgepodge 8-14-2013

It's hodgepodge Wednesday again, so here's my answers to the questions this week. I hope, as I do this, that it will give you a little better picture of who I am.


1. My daughter earned her Master's Degree this past weekend...what's something you've 'mastered' in recent weeks or months?
The only thing I can think of right now is the ability to cook a meal for just the 2 of us. I think I have that mastered, but some days I still end up with too much left-over. lol

2. What song most reminds you of your childhood?
"Jesus Loves Me" ..... that was the first song I learned in Sunday School and I remember how good I felt when I sang it. I felt like I was special to Someone. 

3. What do you think about single gender groups and/or events? Should every group/event be open to both genders?  If not, what sort of exceptions do you think are appropriate?
I believe there are certain groups that were created for one gender that now has been 'forced' to change policies to accommodate the other gender, whether they like it or not, just so they don't offend or be considered racist. Example: girl scouts and boy scouts. 

4. What's your favorite spice? Your favorite dish containing your favorite spice?
This one is easy ----- cinnamon. I love the taste and the smell. When I head for the bakery department in the grocery store, I can smell the cinnamon bread before I even get there. For me, it's a very soothing scent. I use it on several foods. A few examples would be on toast in the morning, cinnamon rolls, on sweet potatoes, in coffee and on apples.

5.  I saw this question on Marla's facebook page and asked if I could
steal/borrow it for the Hodgepodge...thanks Marla! 
Chevron patterns are everywhere!  Do you like it or think its just a little too much? Do you own anything 'chevron'?
I don't own anything Chevron and there are no places in our area that advertise it. 

6.  What's something you disliked as a child, but can fully appreciate now?
Of course, my first thought was vegetables. But at the age I am now, my answer would have to be education. The learning, the studying, the school environment, all of it. I hated school when I was a child, but now I wish I had applied myself more and possibly have gone to college.

7. What can irritate you very quickly?
Today's child! I see too many of them that are just "me-me". Whatever suits them at the moment. They have no respect for anyone or anything. They hit their mother, call her nasty names, use fowl language, and she does nothing. In the stores, they pick up anything and play with it or destroy it "because they can". I'm not referring to small children, I'm talking about pre-teens and up. I could go on and on with this subject, but I think you've got the idea. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
I read an article in the morning paper that sort of goes along with my answer to question 7. Companies are now having training sessions with their employees, bringing together the older ones that they call "work-a-holics" with the younger employees, to train them on how to cooperate with one another. In other words, I feel they want to "dumb down" the older workers who work ethics, who wants to do their job and do it well, to put them on more of a level with the younger workers who are only there for the pay checks. Living in a small manufacturing town, we see it everywhere. These companies need to hire more people to get their products made because the younger workers don't want to do any job where they may break out a sweat, or they take more breaks than they should. Often times they're found off in a corner on their cell phones. It's becoming a major problem in our country. 


5 comments:

  1. Along the lines of what you're saying...I saw a clip of Ashton Kutcher (the actor) accepting an award at the Teen Choice event recently. He said some surprisingly great stuff about hard work, no job being beneath you, etc. A great message to young teens from someone they admire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are like yours. We were reared when respect was a biggie...hard work for your paycheck, not just being 'pretty' for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cooking for two people is tough. I used to have some leftovers but now I have LEFTOVERS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, Carol, about our answers being very similar! Sure wished we lived closer - I know we would be friends (in person!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sure think a like!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....