Another busy day today. We have a surprise birthday party this evening for my brother-in-law (my sister's husband). They love surprise parties. I've never been successful at that. Have you ever thrown a successful surprise party?
I'll be finishing up my potato salad in a little bit so it has time to chill before we leave. Hubby's making another pot of iced tea to take alone in the cooler. It's going to be a backyard gathering, under the shade trees. Isn't it funny, when families plan a get-together, several are famous for one dish they make and are always asked to make it again? For me, it's always my potato salad. For my daughter Lori, it's her salad. For my sister, it's her pies. For my niece, her mac and cheese. Are you famous for any one dish?
I was so hoping the weather today would be like it was yesterday. It was beautiful, sunshine, 76° with a north breeze. Today is hot and humid again.
Yesterday was the start of our town's annual hot air balloon festival. The town was full of cars last evening. The first launch was at 5:30 and luck would have it, the winds were coming out of south, so all the balloons came our way from the fairgrounds. At $10 per person to get in, we just enjoyed them from our yard. These were the first to get airborne.
It's not a very good picture, but this balloon was the head of a teddy bear. I was hoping he would come closer, but the wind started carrying him east.
This one was "The Ohio Caverns" balloon. He came so close it looked like he was having some trouble. I think he got into an air pocket and wasn't moving. He was using his burner a lot, trying to get altitude. I've had a close encounter with a balloon that had the same problem and he did come down, almost laying it over a neighbor's house. :) Finally he got to moving again. The little dot on the right above the trees was another balloon way out in the lead. I don't know how many balloons there were, but it was so much fun watching them all.
I stole this picture from a friend. They were at the football game last night when the balloons went over.
After all the balloons took off, they started with the helicopter rides. I tried to get a picture of him but I couldn't. Too far away. I don't know how many times he went over our house. There was another early morning launch today, but I was still snoozing. I have heard the helicopter several times though.
Well, I better get back to the kitchen. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Until next time.................




I would love to see the balloons; you are lucky. Enjoy the surprise party, and bet there will be lots of good food.
ReplyDeleteYou got some great shots, Carol, and thanks so much for sharing them! I'm always in awe when I see a hot-air balloon. It looks like so much fun, but I think they are more dangerous than one would think. What happens if the propane runs out, for instance?! I think I much prefer seeing them go by, over being in one.
ReplyDeleteAs for the surprise birthday party...yes, I surprised Joe twice. Once for his 50th and again for his 65th. He told me to never do it again, after the first one. When I didn't listen, he told me - after the 65th - that he would divorce me if I ever did it again. He had fun, but he really hates surprises. I've never had a surprise party. :( It would make me happy, though!
I am not known for a specific dish, though our niece loves my Italian Wedding Soup, and most of our friends want me to cook Italian when they come over to eat. My mom, however, was known far and wide for her chicken and home-made noodles. Oh my gosh, they were good! Granny Kelly did the fried chicken that couldn't be matched, and my Grandma Baker made the yummy potato salad.
C-O-O-L!
ReplyDeleteSurprise party? I tried once to do that for Hubby. My brother was supposed to let people in and keep them quiet, but they were making so much noise when we arrived I had to tell Hubby what was going on to keep him from getting the dog and using a baseball bat on our guests. Never tried that again!