Saturday, October 5, 2013

Family

All my life, family has been at the top of my list as a priority.... something to hold onto... something that defines most of what and who I am. I've taught my 3 daughters from the time they were little, that even though they argue among themselves, which is normal, do not ever let the disagreement fester and drive a wedge between you.

Then there's our extended family... the aunts, uncles, and cousins. I am fortunate to have my mother's side of her family that has been close to me all my life and have always been there for me. However, on my father's side, they are all a 'different breed'. They were never close, to us or themselves. They never showed compassion for anyone, that I know of. My father had 2 brothers and when they moved their families far away many years ago, we were all forgotten. Until recently.

One of my cousins, Karen, is now trying, I think, to have a family relationship with me. I've not heard from her in 46 years. Before her father, my dad's brother, died, he drove by himself from LasVegas, where they all live, to Ohio to see some old friends and he came here. It was a very uncomfortable conversation. We didn't know what to say to each other. This man was a stranger to me. He was in his 80's at the time and died a few months after that trip. As I watched him sitting at my kitchen table, I couldn't help but worry about him making the drive back to Nevada and I made him promise he would let me know that he had gotten home safe. He never did.

He and I had been sharing correspondence for awhile about the family for my genealogy research. I knew he had some information I could record about his parents and their parents. He had very little to tell me about them. Most of the information he sent me was about his 3 daughters and their children. But I appreciated what he did send me.

Now his daughter Karen has been sending me emails. We never got along when we were young. She and her sisters were mean and 'upidy', always thought they were better than us. I'm sure that came from their mother, but I won't speak ill of the dead. The girls were always doing things then blaming it on us so we got the punishment. Now with each email from her, I keep hoping that maybe she's changed, grown up, now that we're both old ladies. Sadly, that's not the case. Recently she's said some things that have just rubbed me the wrong way. I know this all sounds childish, but there are other things that have left me with scars that go deep. However, now I must put the past behind me and do my best to make God pleased with me. I must forgive her.

The bottom line......... now I have to practice what I've preached. She's family.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my, how I understand. I never had a big family and now they are all gone but 2 cousins. One lives in Texas and one in Arizona. We never talk, maybe write once every year or so. Family is precious and priceless but can also be a 'pill'. We just have to forgive and go on....they do! (go on anyway, dont know about forgive..lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is family, Carol, but you can't let someone steal your joy - even a family member. Just don't let her steal your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what Terri said. Do forgive her as we are admonished to do, but guard your heart in the process.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....