Friday, November 15, 2013

Algebra and gunshots

We had an interesting evening yesterday.

Our 2 youngest grandsons spent the evening with us. I helped Bryan, our youngest, with his homework. He's first grade. We worked on his math assignment which amazed me. Then he read a book he got for the 'reading circle'. As we were doing that, his older brother brought me his homework, which he'd already finished. It was ALGEBRA! He's only 3rd grade! That amazed me even more. At first I thought he was kidding until he showed it to me. I told him I didn't have algebra until I was in high school. He proceeded to explain to me that his teacher told the class this was not her idea, she didn't like having to do this, but the government demands she teach it to them in this grade. He's having problems understanding the whole concept. I felt bad for him, having to struggle with this just because our government thinks it's a good idea. Just another reason for me to hate all of them on Capitol Hill.

Around 7:00 Bob got a phone call from his brother. There had been a shooting in town, just 4 blocks from us. A 47 yr. old woman had an argument with her mother and step-father, so she shot them both with a rifle. When the neighbors called police about hearing gunshots, she took off in her car. There were city police, sheriff cruisers and state police all over town, looking for her car and canvassing the neighborhoods. Somehow, they tracked her to a wooded area south-west of town. The dogs were called out plus a helicopter kept circling around, going over our house at times. Her parents were both life-flighted to Ft. Wayne hospital, but her mother died on the way. They caught her around 2:00 this morning. We still don't know her motive. So much for living in a small "quiet" town.

Today is going to be another busy day around here. I've got a load of laundry going and I have to mop the kitchen floor. I also have to run out to WalMart (again!) to get Bryan a gift card (which he calls his very own credit card) for his birthday Sunday. We won't be seeing him because he'll be with his dad and that side of the family are all going to Columbus to party. It's so aggravating, when there's a divorce, one side tries to buy the child's love with expensive gifts and big parties. They've been doing it for months now. Thank God the judge said 'shared custody' so that family won't be trying to take Bryan from us. But I digress. We'll be giving him his gift Monday when he gets home. Teresa is planning to have a birthday cake with candles later on in the week.

Our weather doesn't look good for the next few days. The temperature is going up into the 70's Sunday, but rain and possibly strong storms could develop. I mentioned several days ago about the F4 tornado that went through our town on Nov. 10, 2002. This system is pretty much the same kind. They're predicting the winds for tomorrow to gust up around 30-35 mph and 40-50 on Sunday. When this happens in November, it makes me very nervous. It's not normal. So, I'm going to be staying right here watching the reports and batten down the hatches.

I hope you have a great weekend.
Until later................



3 comments:

  1. 3rd grade, my goodness, what will they be teaching them in high school. That is awful about the woman shooting her mother and step father....glad they caught her. Batten down the hatches and stay dry and safe. We are having a messy weekend too..cold, rain. Otherwise have a good weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Algebra in 3rd grade?!!! Oh my gosh! Bless their hearts.

    Terrible story about the shooting. That woman must have gone off the deep end. I'm so sorry her mom died, and now her dad will have to endure the terrible loss of both his wife and his daughter. So sad. Sad about the dueling families, too. I'm sure he will enjoy his own personal credit card and his celebration with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm behind, so I'll have to keep reading to find out how bad the weather got for you. I never had algebra! Poor guy, it must be awfully hard to grasp at that age. I'm glad they found the shooter, scary!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....