Thursday, November 7, 2013

Election Day, Nov. 5, 2013

Tuesday was election day. One of the important things on our ballots was the aquatic center the city wants to build. Granted, it would be nice to have, but there are many more things that they could do to benefit ALL citizens instead of just a few.

The biggest arguments for this project is "something for the kids to do" and "it's a healthy activity for families" but in this part of the country, it would only be open 3 months out of the year. For those of us who won't be utilizing it and for us homeowners who will be paying for it the next 35 yrs. in our real estate taxes, it's not a good thing.

Well, it was voted down. It had been our mayor's pet project the last year or so, and after the votes were tallied, he posted a hateful status on his FB page. He was angry and blamed the citizens of not caring about the kids. It was awful to read and I think it was so uncalled-for.

We have a busy day ahead of us with lots of running.
* I have to go out to the lab to get a blood test to check my vitamin D level.
* Then to the drug store to get a refill on a script.
* And then my favorite (not) -- the grocery store. They've started with their sales on items for Thanksgiving dinner:  10-12 lb. turkeys for 99¢ a lb.! We usually do 1 turkey plus a ham, or 2 turkeys (1 roasted and 1 deep fried)  Frozen vegetables 62¢ a bag! I'm stocking up on those since Bob and I eat lots of vegetables. I'll be watching the sales the next couple weeks and get a few items at a time, then the perishables right before.

Today when we leave the house, I'll definitely be wearing a coat. It's cold out there. Our high today is only going to be around 46° with a wind-chill of 37°! That requires a warm coat for sure! The sun keeps peaking out but only for a few minutes at a time and a cold wind, 15 mph from the north-west. It is sure stripping all the trees. Our neighbors across the street have a yard full of leaves that wraps around the ankles when anyone walks by.

Well, until next time....... hope you have a great day.



3 comments:

  1. It's cold here too today - not sure of the temps, but we have a light dusting of snow that is sticking. ;P Our grocery store usually runs the .99 lb. for turkeys as well - I need to be looking out for that. I bought 2 last year and saved one for later in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having cooler temps here too. When I got up it was 62, and it has dropped all day and is windy, which makes it feel colder than it is. You are wise to buy veggies and stock up. We will get our turkey and ham closer to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is still too warm here, but nights are good. Hope you got through your busy day! Sounds like the Mayor had a few things promised (on the side) and now has to eat some crow. He made a bad decision, taking it to FB.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....