Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thurs. Jan. 23

Oh, my gosh, is it ever cold out there!!! We're under a wind chill warning. It feels like 18 below zero right now!! That's cold enough to get frost-bite in just a few minutes. A local garbage collector lost 4 fingers this week, because his work gloves weren't heavy enough to protect him. I feel like I live in Alaska..... oh, wait, it's 37° in Anchorage!! They're warmer than we are. :(
Most of the country is suffering with this arctic front and I feel bad for everyone. We're ALL cold.  You know it's cold when 20+/- birds gather around the neighbor's chimney trying to keep warm. I hope this passes soon.

What's wrong with this picture? Los Angeles is spending boo-coo bucks, which they supposedly don't have, making an outdoor ice rink so they can host professional hockey games --- in 80 deg. weather and the whole state is in a drought!! And then back east, in New Jersey, we have Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2, being played in an outdoor stadium, where the temperature is currently 4 deg. with snow-covered metal stadium seats!!

It's day #9 on my new medicine for this (pain-less) migraine and I'm doing fairly good, except I have some problems with my concentration which has had an effect on my piano lessons. I'm sure this is only temporary.

My cousin is doing well. He's home from the hospital and his wife says he can't wait to get back into the swing of things. He's on our city council and he has people to see. That's my cousin.... couldn't keep him down.  Then his wife called me today to tell me that John's sister, Sharon, lost her husband this morning. Sharon and her family live in Louisiana. I feel so bad for her. She's been worrying about her brother having cancer and her husband dies from a heart attack.

It's my bedtime and I'm ready. Sorry I'm so late writing this. It's been another busy day. The schools have been on a 2-hour delay every morning this week because of the extreme cold. So, we have our grandson those 2 hours then we drive him to school. Consequently I have to get up at 6:30! I'm not used to that early morning stuff anymore. I'm getting up before the sun!!

Until next time..........

3 comments:

  1. I am late checking in and trying to catch up on everyone's blogs this week. Thank the good Lord, I do have my computer up and running again. It was 8 degrees when I got up this morning and it has gone up to 13 at 11 am. All we do is put on layers of clothes, sit close to the fireplace and wait it out. Our schools are on 2 hr. delays too. Hang in there my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your cousin is doing better, but sorry for the one who lost her husband. Goodness. It is cold...I'm living in the basement next to the fire this week while trying to recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late getting around to your blog, too, Carol. I'm sorry for your horrid weather, and hope you are staying safe & warm! Glad your cousin is doing well, but sorry his family's loss. Hope your body continues to acclimate to the new meds! Have a good weekend - stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....