Today's Throwback journey takes us to 1954.........
All the years I was growing up, I was so fortunate to have a Great-Grandmother in my life. I was very close to her, spending many hours at her house. She taught me so many things -- about being a lady, how to take care of a home, etc. She also taught me how a lady rolls her own cigarettes. First you have to pull down the blinds on all the windows.
Every spring I would go over to her house and help with the spring cleaning. It was hard work. The wallpaper in each room had to wiped down with a doughy mixture. All the lace curtains were taken down, washed, then stretched out on wooden frames to dry. I always managed to come home with sore finger tips.
She lived most of her life alone in the same house where she and my great-grandfather lived. They were only married 23 yrs when he died in 1919. Grandma died in her home on Sept. 8, 1963 at the age of 85.
The picture is Grandma with all of her great-grandchildren. From left to right.... my cousin John, his sister Sharon, cousin Barry, David (my little brother), Marilyn (my sister) and me, in my favorite dress. I was 8.
I'm glad you stopped by.
Until next time...............

How sweet, Carol! I barely remember one of my great-grandmothers. She died when I was around six years old, so I didn't really know her. I remember her sitting in the rocking chair, making string balls. The others were gone before I was a toddler. Precious memories and a wonderful photo!
ReplyDeleteThat is a sweet memory and I love the cigarette joke! *ha ha* Your great grandma sure lived a long time after her hubby died. I wish I could have met my great's but they where all deceased by the time I was born.
ReplyDeleteThese Thursday Throwback's are fun. I'm enjoying them immensely. ~:)
What a sweet picture and wonderful story ! I love the cigarette story ! What a hoot !
ReplyDelete