Another Wednesday, which means another list of great questions from Joyce over at "From This Side of the Pond" Here
1. Share something you appreciate (or something you appreciated as you were growing up) about your mother. Her strength. She worked a full-time job, a hard job that not every woman could handle, plus took care of my younger sister, brother and me by herself. (our father walked out on us). I saw her on many mornings how she was bone tired, but she dressed and went to work while I fed us breakfast and we walked to school. She never gave up. She had the kind of strength I didn't know was possible and still kept telling us kids that we will be ok.
2. A quote most commonly ascribed to Plato reads "Necessity is the mother of invention." When did this last play out in your own experience? When our girls were little, there were times when money was scarce, but I managed to put together an evening meal for the 5 of us with the few items I had on hand.
3. Share one of the earliest memories you have from childhood. When I was 5, Mom and I lived with Great-grandma. I remember Mom leaving one day and was gone for a very long time (it seemed to me). When she came back, she had a baby in her arms. I was fascinated with this little screamer at first, until Mom said we were keeping her! "No! Take her back where you found her!"
4. When did you last 'hit the mother lode'? What was it? That is a tough question. I can't think of anything.
5. What is/was your favorite dish mom made? Do you make that dish for your family/friends now that you're all grown up? Mom made the best fried potatoes and onion with wilted lettuce. We all loved it. And yes, I will make it occasionally for hubby and I even tho' it's not at all healthy, fried in bacon drippings.
6. Mother May I? was at one time a popular children's game. It required no equipment or parts to play. What was your favorite childhood game where you could just turn up and play- no gear needed? Hide and Seek, of course. There were several children in our neighborhood and in the summer we were all allowed to play outside until the street lights came on. As the sun was setting, and shadows of the trees were growing darker, that was the perfect time to hide.
7. Which TV mom (past or present) is your favorite, and why? Caroline Ingles from Little House on the Prairie. She was portrayed as another strong, hard working mother, patient and gentle.
8. Insert your own random thought here.


I am so happy to be reading your blog today! We all grew up so differently, but there are many things alike tool, depending how old one is...Happy Hump Day.
ReplyDeleteHa-cute picture : ) Bacon drippings may not be healthy, but they do make things tasty!
ReplyDeleteI loved Little House on the Prairie, and you are correct about Carolyn Ingalls being strong, patient, and gentle.
ReplyDeleteMy mom used to do wilted lettuce in the bacon grease. So good!! Your mom was a strong woman! God bless her. Cute story about sending the baby back! Made me smile! I look forward to Hodgepodge each week!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your mom was an amazing person.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like Hide and Seek is a game that just keeps getting passed down through the generations and is always a favorite.
That's so sad y'alls Dad walked out! I wonder what happened and where he went or what his ultimate fate was. Yeah, I know, he's not deserving of sympathy. Just nosy. I want to find him and then I'd shake my finger at him and shout "Shame on you!" Well, at least your Mom was of strong moral fiber. Bless her heart. She deserves a crown with lovely jewels in Heaven. I had a luxurious life compared to what y'all went through and it was no picnic after my Mom died. Anyway, it's because of your loving Mom that y'all turned out so wonderful. Your Mom is a treasure!
ReplyDeleteBTW, did I save the little rubber ducky?! *lol* ~:)