Monday, July 7, 2014

Recovering well

This Thursday it will be 5 weeks since Hubby had stents put in his heart. His recovery has gone well. He's back to mowing the yard, on a rider, and taking care of a few things around the house that he didn't feel up to doing a few weeks ago. We have so much to be thankful for. The doctor called his blocked artery a "widow maker". Thank you, Lord.

The only problem we have now is his meds. One prescription the surgeon put him on costs $289 a month!! Being on Social Security/Medicare, we can't afford that. Also, since it's a new drug, his Humana drug plan doesn't cover it. We've tried to get some help, but that's not gone well. You've seen the commercials for drugs on the market, where one particular company says at the end "if you have trouble paying for your prescription, Astra Zenica can help". HA!! That's a joke. That multi-BILLION $$$ drug company won't help.

We've gone through so much paperwork but on the application, Bob checked the box that asked if he was a veteran. Consequently, the letter we got back from AZ said to "contact your local VA representative for assistance". With the VA in the mess they're in right now? Well, Bob did contact our local rep. We've known Barry for years, so Bob explained his situation and was told what he already knew ---- he didn't qualify for VA benefits. Bob was in the Guards but stayed in the states those 7 years and wasn't called into a combat zone . Now we're waiting on a letter from them stating he didn't qualify, then we'll send that to AZ and see what happens. AZ did help a little bit. When they got Bob's application from the surgeon, with his signed letter, they sent him a 3-month supply free of charge.

AZ also gave us a web-site address where we could get more information on assistance. Guess where that took us? Yep! Obamacare! Don't think so....Not going to mess with that. Then there's Medicaid, which Bob refuses to try and I agree with him. At this point, our only recourse is for him to tell his doctor to try something less expensive.

This has been quite an experience. Sixty-eight years of good health and then BAM! We just never know what will happen tomorrow until it happens. Thank goodness God is in control.

Hope you have a good week ahead.


5 comments:

  1. I sure hate to hear about the medicine and not getting help. It is all the government's (O.) fault and it makes me dislike him even more. Sure hope you can get help or get another drug that he can take, not as expensive. We have had to do that because Jim and I both, are on so many medicines. I will say a prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry your husband is having so much medicine problems. All Americans, except elected officials, are going to be in the same boat. We're losing benefits and access to proper medical care. Hubby has high blood pressure, etc. After 41 years of faithful service with BellSouth, who promised to supply healthcare and other benefits, he now has zip. Also, they're trying to drop me! And that's all I have. Hubby also had time with the National Guard but because he didn't serve in a combat zone, has zero benefits. Why anyone would want to deliberately serve our country now, it's boggles my mind. I wish all the military would just quit. (Sorry, I'm in that kind of mood today. Didn't mean to dump on you.) I think once Obama and his ilk leave office, we will be a Third World country.
    Anyway, prayers from here too. And I know I don't need to keep asking others to pray for our nation too. I'm sure this is a daily thing with everyone around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a similar situation when Joe got his first stent (he has four). Fortunately for us, he was able to get in for VA benefits before they made it more difficult. It was a huge help. Don't be timid about asking the doctor to prescribe a less expensive drug. Sometimes they prescribe the newest because they get a kick-back...sad to say, but true. Sam's Club pharmacy has some excellent prices on drugs, too, if you have one close enough to check. All this just adds to the stress. I'm sorry for your problems and hope you get some help through the channels you are trying!! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that Hubs is doing well. Wishing him a speedy recovery. X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see he's doing ok. I dread the day we have to deal with the prescriptions and insurance. I just don't know what we're going to do.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....