Welcome to Hodgepodge edition #190!! I haven't been with the group that long, but it's amazing how long this one has grown and survived. Most don't. It says a lot for our hostess at This Side of the Pond
Thank
you, Joyce, for a good time.
1. I'm celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to
aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, 'You are as
young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as
old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair." Would
you agree? If not why not?
Happy Birthday, Joyce. I agree with that quote. It's all a state
of mind.
"If
you think you are beaten, you are,
If you
think you dare not, you don’t,
If you
like to win, but you think you can’t,
It’s
almost a “cinch” you won’t.
If you
think you’ll lose, you've lost,
For out
in the world you find
Success
begins with a fellow’s will;
It’s all
in the state of mind." by Walter D.
Wintle
2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or
historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your
birth year, just the same date/same month.
Dec. 21, 1913 the first crossword puzzle was printed in the
New York World newspaper. No, I didn't work on it. I'm not quite THAT old.
3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to 'have your
cake and eat it too.'
I
can't think of anything.
4. What's something you do that makes you feel young? Something
that makes you feel old?
They
say your grandkids can make you feel young and sometimes they do, but then there are times when they make me
feel so old. Like when I have no idea what movie character they're talking
about and especially when I can't hear
what they're "mumbling" about.
5. When did you last do something that was 'a piece of cake'?
Last
year I worked for an auctioneer, he gave me the job of writing
up this sales flyers and take care of his ads for the newspapers. Those first
few were a pain, had me scared, but after finding out how pleased he was, it
all became "a piece of cake".
6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What's something
else you'd add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage)
Love….
After being married to my high school
sweetheart for 48 years, the love we had then has only gotten better with age.
7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what
should I give away? By my calculations we'll hit Volume 200 on November 26th,
the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is
in time for Christmas.
That's
a very difficult question to answer. I'd like to have an iPad for Christmas.
(
I'm joking)
8. Insert your own random thought here.
My cousin John has had liver cancer and has so many recent
set-backs. He's still in the hospital in Columbus, OH. He had surgery to remove
the last of the tumors on his liver and was doing good. But then he had
peritonitis from the surgeon nicking his colon. He's fought hard and has
finally been taken out of ICU into a
private room. But he's had a feeding tube in his throat for so long, he's lost
the ability to swallow. Rehab is working to teach him how to swallow again. I
just talked to his wife and she's worn to a frazzle. I'm as worried about her
as I am about John. They both need prayer. John still has a long road to
recovery.

John is on my prayer list, Carol. I'll add his wife. So sorry to hear he is still suffering set-backs. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers!!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your cousin. I will add him (and his wife) to my prayers. Sometimes the treatment for cancer is brutal. Take care.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with your answer to #6. Prayers for your cousin.
ReplyDeleteWill be praying for your cousin and wife....such a difficult time and it takes a toll on everyone.
ReplyDeleteAdd me to praying for your cousin and family. I've been a caregiver for a very ill loved one before. One does get worn to a frazzle very quickly. She MUST remember to take time for herself. It's not being selfish.
ReplyDeleteI know I sound like a broken record but I enjoyed your always well thought out answers. If I was answering these, I think I'd have to plead the Fifth on #3. Now that everyones interest is peaked, I'll leave y'all with that to ponder.
Have a blessed evening.
*giggle* ~:)
OK, Sparky, you've peaked my interest. Come on.... give me a little hint? Please?
Deletehahaha