Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Retirement
"When a man retires, his wife gets twice the husband, but only half the income." Thus lies the problem.
Hubby retired a few years ago, then took a part-time job, worked 3 more years, then retired again. I thought it would be so nice. He'd be able to do the things he's wanted to do and we'd be able to do things together. No more missing the grandson's ball games, or the holiday dinners with the family. I wouldn't have to listen to him complain about one thing or another every single night when he got home from work.
As for me, I'm not retired… I just don't have my job anymore. I can guarantee you if my employer was to call me today with a job to do for him, I'd be on it quicker than you can blink. I've never felt like "retiring". I don't even like the word.
I've been places around town with Bob when we'd run into someone he knows and every time they'll ask him how he's enjoying retirement and "what are you doing to occupy your time?" He always answers them with "as little as I have to". Then he looks over at me. I know the truth but I'm keeping my mouth shut.
I had such big plans for us. Maybe we could travel a little bit, a few miles from home. Maybe we could do some of the things we've talked about for years. Maybe he would be able to work more on his hobby and sell more of his work.
Then the economy took a dump and the market fell so hard and fast we could hear the "BOOM". By the time it slowed down, his retirement fund was gone. Now we find ourselves in that same category as most people our age - living on a fixed income and pinching pennies.
I could easily dwell on this and get depressed, but I'm not going to. I continue to try focusing on the good things in life. God is watching over us and we are in His hands. Despite a few set-backs, we're both in good health, we have a warm bed and a roof over our heads. So life is good. And I can still find humor in it all.
Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. Well, for example, the other day, my wife Susie and I went into town and visited a shop. When we came out, there was a cop writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and I said, 'Come on, man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?' He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a butthead. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn-out tires. So Susie called him a donut-eater. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing more tickets. This went on for about 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote. Just then our bus arrived, we got on it and went home. We always look for cars with "OBAMA 2012" stickers. We try to have a little fun each day now that we're retired. It's important at our age.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

LOLOLOL...we oldies but goodies still have some spunk in us dont we? We are exactly like what you said, living from SS check to the next one, going no where, doing nothing that costs money, but yes, we are alive, have a roof over our head and a bed to sleep in at night. I am thankful every day when I wake up and am still alive.
ReplyDeleteLove the joke!! Joe and I will be in the same boat, Carol. Joe has always been self-employed, so we didn't have a retirement fund to lose. Maybe that's a good thing. We are already talking about what we will do when I can retire in three more years, and it includes selling the house and buying a double wide in one of the retirement parks. There are several really, really nice ones and it only makes sense to downsize, get rid of the yard and the pool. Doing that is the only way we will be able to make it on social security benefits, and I need to think about what I'll be able to handle on my own, since he is 14 years older than me. I will most likely live longer than him. It's scary stuff. As soon as we get some money saved, something happens and we need to spend it, thankful that we can. I just trust the Lord and know He is my Shepherd and I shall not want. Amen. (((HUG)))
ReplyDelete