Friday, November 2, 2012

Sunny Friday

Our weather today could be better, but I'll take it. The sun is shining so pretty. But the wind is cold. Our expected high is only 43° and down to 30° tonight.

I can't help but think about all the people on the east coast who have no home right now due to hurricane Sandy. I heard on the morning news that they estimate over 20,000 in just one section of New York still stranded and waiting for rescue. I can remember when Katrina came up from the Gulf, all the horrible stories coming out of it. There's so much violence in our country already, but in disasters like these, it's even worse. The things people will do. It awful.

In 1997 I took a job in a real estate office doing secretarial work for the agents, taking care of their paperwork, scheduling, and PR. One of the agents, Daryl, is also an auctioneer. When the broker retired, she shut down her office. All of the agents scattered to the winds, some transferred their licenses to other broker offices. Daryl did too, but his auction business remained solely with him, working out of his home. And he asked me to stay with him. I've been working for him ever since. One of my jobs is advertising. And when he has auctions scheduled each weekend in a single month, it can get pretty hectic. Then when you have one of the newspapers mess up an ad badly, it makes for an unhappy auctioneer. Our local paper did just that yesterday. I was on the phone bright and early this morning with our ad rep, detailing all the mistakes they made. Just one aspect of my job.

My hubby just informed me that we are going out for supper later. Wahoo! I get a holiday! We don't eat out as often as we used to, so when it happens, it's a real treat for me. Silly, isn't it?

We have one stop to make before we go eat. Our 2 youngest grandsons have asked for something for Christmas that I'm having trouble finding. They love football and each one has a different favorite team. They want T-shirts with their team's logo on it. I didn't think it would be this hard to find them (NY Jets and NY Giants). We're going to check out a little store in town that does a lot of that, but she usually only handles iron-ons for local teams, like the high schools around here and OSU. But I'll see if she can help me.

I decided to join the season challenge of listing things I'm thankful for. Since I missed yesterday, I'm naming 2 today, so I can get caught up with everyone.
What I'm thankful for:  

1.  My family... for loving me, being there for me, showing me love, and understanding my crazy ways. And for forgiving me of all my past mistakes. 

2.  My health. Even tho' I'm now called a senior citizen, I am so thankful my health is good, with only a couple minor problems.  I thank God daily for this.




I hope you are having a good day.
Take care.
God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Eating out is always a treat for me, Carol. We do it more often than we should, but it is always a treat!

    How fun, working for an auctioneer! Sorry the paper messed up your ad, but I think auctions are great fun. Wish I had more money to spend so I could go to them more often!

    I like the "thankful" challenge, and just thought that I might create a page to keep my list on. That way, they will all be together in one place for me to look at. Your list above gave me the idea!!

    Have a good weekend! Hope you find the t-shirts you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can find the t-shirts for your grandsons. Going out to eat is always a treat for me, as I dont like to cook. lol Have a good weekend. We are blessed not to be in the condition those in NY and NJ are at this time, and we need to remember them in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not silly at all to enjoy eating out! No cooking yourself and enjoying a different atmosphere, especially when you don't do it often, is great.
    I hope you succeed in finding the t-shirts. Won't you be able to find them online somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....