Our weather has been cold lately, colder than our normal, but nothing too bad. At least the sun's shining. It's been in the 30's during the day and in the 20's at night. The weekend is suppose to be warmer, in the high 50's. I'll take it.
My plans for today is steam cleaning the kitchen floor and vacuuming the living room. Then I hope to work so more on my new project. One of my grandsons is interested in his ancestors that fought in any of the wars. So, I've been putting together some print-outs to put in a folder for him. Each page contains the man's name, picture and how he's related. On some I've included some history of that war, dates, etc. and some pictures I've gotten from the internet. My husband was in the Army during Vietnam and when we found out that most of the kids today are not being taught anything about that 'conflict', it's upset him. There are so many people against our involvement and refuse to acknowledge it even happened. We lost so many boys during that time, we have to remember them too. It can't be forgotten. I'm hoping my grandson will enjoy having this, something he'll want to keep.
This project has been a big undertaking, more than I thought it would, but it's been fun. While I have a lot of information on my side of the family, Bob needed to help me with his relatives. Doing that, he got out his boxes of photos that we haven't gotten into albums yet, to find his family members that fought for our country. In the process, I've researched their history, which lead to more information on them and their family. I've gotten side-tracked several times, finding more names and connections for my genealogy notebooks. It was exciting for me to find one of his lost relatives he didn't even know about. I hated to pay the membership fee, but I'm on ancestry.com where I find so much information. I'm hoping it will be worth it.
The devotional for today: "When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God." – Exodus 31:18 (NIV)
Commentary: The God of the universe had no problem in binding Himself to humanity with a written contract. We equate freedom with the ability to have options, but God equates freedom with His unchanging promises. He took this one step further when His promises became flesh and lived among us in Jesus Christ. As the biblical story unfolds we find that true freedom occurs when the promises of God go from stone to flesh—from external obligations to heartfelt obedience.
Wishing everyone a great day.
God bless.

Ancestry is very interesting. One of my daughters is in to it in a big way too. I know he will enjoy what you have found for him. Love your new background.
ReplyDeleteYour project sounds wonderful. What a wonderful thing to do for your grandson. It does take a lot of time. I'm hoping to get back to my ancestry project after the New Year.
ReplyDeleteI love Ancestry.com and have paid for my second year. It has pulled my family history together so quickly. I'm amazed at the information on line, and the others who are related and share their information. Joe and I have both done the DNA testing, too!! Such fun to see where my DNA comes from. We're waiting on Joe's results and are excited to see what it finds for him. His grandfather was adopted, and we know nothing about what his true blood line is. This will be an exciting adventure for the D'Orsaneo line!
ReplyDeleteYour project is great, and I'm excited to hear about it. Your grandson will be thrilled! Thanks for sharing!