Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 -- One week old

I've been absent from my blogging for a week now, but I hope to get back into it. I'm trying to catch up with everyone to see how my friends are doing. Wishes for a happy, healthy new year to you all.

Let's see... what's been happening lately in my little world? Not much. Another reason for no blogs... too boring and nothing to say. Remarkable! Me? Speechless? Yep.

Last week Bob and I went out to lunch with his older brother and his wife. We had a great time visiting with them, as usual. We got to talking about family and some information I had for him regarding my genealogy research. Jack then told me about something that happened with their gr-grandmother and he's always wondered about it. I told him I'd see if I could find any information for him. So that's what I've been doing the last several days. I found the information for him. He was very pleased that I was able to answer his questions he'd been wondering about it for years. But I was having so much fun, getting back into my genealogy, that I got to doing more and I'm currently searching more info on my family. It's nothing for me to sit down with my notebooks and computer, and spend the whole day going through census records, military registrations and S.S. records.


Sunday our youngest daughter took our grandson to Columbus and moved him into his dorm room. It was a very emotional day for all of them. She's been crying and he was wound up tighter than an 8-day clock... excitement, nervous and a little scared of the unknown. The first grandchild to go off to college and he's been on my mind for days, wondering how he's doing, what kind of challenges he'll face, what his classes are going to be like, all that good stuff. I know he'll be ok and he's finally got the chance to do what he's dreamed of for years, so I'm happy for him. I'm still going to miss him. At least he's not that far away, he'll be coming home on some of his free weekends. His mother is giving him a couple weeks to settle in and to list the things he wished he had, then her and I will make the trip down with a large "care package".  The picture above is Teresa and Curtis with Brutus, in the commons area, taken a couple weeks ago when she took him down for orientation. I love the smile on his face.... Curtis, not Brutus.

I have been seeing all the news reports of the flu epidemic this year. The ER's are busy and the hospitals are full. It has made me nervous to get out in a group of people. Everyone is sneezing and coughing. So when I went out to CVS to get a refill on a prescription I take for my migraine, I talked to the pharmacist about getting a flu shot. I haven't gotten one the last couple years, but after talking to her, Bob and I both got a shot.

I put on a crock pot full of homemade vegetable soup this morning so when we got home, our house smelled so good and the soup was just what I needed... warmed me up. Our weather is going to change again. By Thursday the temperature in going to be close to 60°, but rain. In the meantime, we have lots of sunshine to enjoy. The warmer temperatures is slowly melting all the snow on the ground. That's good. I'll get to see our brown grass again. We haven't seen it in over 6 weeks.

Hope everyone had a great day.
Take care.
God bless.

3 comments:

  1. The flu epidemic is spreading like wild fire and like you, I am glad I dont have to get out into crowds. I did take the flu shot early this year, hoping to avoid the bug. Sounds like you have started the new year off right. Have a nice Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flu is bad here, too. Joe and I got our flu shots back in October. I get one every year. I also got the pneumonia vaccine and the shingles vaccine this year. I believe in preventive medicine! Even if you do get the flu, pneumonia or shingles, it won't be as bad. I'm all for that. Glad you were able to get your shot. A friend of mine in Texas couldn't get his because they were out of the vaccine.

    It is so exciting to see the youngsters go off to college and get started on their 'grown-up' lives.

    Has that brown grass peaked through yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genealogy does eat up a bunch of time - but it's fun time and time well spent. I haven't done anymore, I need to scrapbook what I have before I get confused with more.

    Your grandson will do great at college, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....