Sunday, February 24, 2013

Google


I read this bit of news earlier today.  Google is allowing the government to read our emails and blogs without a warrant or probable cause.  I knew that Google saves and archives every form of communication that uses any of their services. That includes  their telephone service Google Voice, document storage in Google Drive and our personal blogs here on Blogger.  This makes me a bit nervous.  But it gets even worse.  Google reported this week that they had 13,753 requests from local, state and federal government agencies to access and read some of the Google communications.  The request involved 31,072 users, a drop in the bucket compared to the 425 million people who use Goggle.  But still it's something to think about. 

I know this is all part of national security, and the government probably wouldn't be interested in my ramblings or what I had for supper, but it's the whole idea that it could lead to further abuse from our own government.

The author of this article then went on to say:
"Therefore, be warned that if you use any of Google’s services and you don’t want the government knowing what you are saying or doing, then find another means of communication.  However, that other means is probably in the same boat Google is, so best to talk face-to-face or not at all if you are concerned about anyone else knowing."


On a personal note, we are under another winter storm advisory. The weather people are predicting a half inch accumulation of ice from freezing rain by Tuesday evening which could bring down tree limbs and power lines. Bob and I don't take these warnings lightly. We went out to the grocery store this afternoon and stocked up on the things we were low on. We have a gas fireplace, so we will have heat.  I'll get both of our Kindles and the cell phones charged and I have candles. We have propane for the grill and plenty of coffee for the camp stove coffee pot, so whatever the weather, we should be ok.

Until later…
have a good Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol! Sure hope this finds you with power, and that you are safe from the ice storm. I remember when I had to read (high school) George Orwell's '1984' and thought "big brother" could never happen. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good thing that I don't say or do anything my government would be interested in, so Google away Big Brother...have at it! Hope your Monday is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information on Google. I'm with you, I'm sure they're not interested in my daily doings, but the thought is disturbing.

    I hope the storm isn't too awful for you - glad you are making preparations just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "big brother is watching us" is getting more and more realistic, isn't it? It is frightening to learn how our privacy gets invaded, little by little... I know, if you are a good citizen it doesn't make a difference, but still, I don't like the idea either.
    You seem well prepared for the storm, I hope all went well.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....