We got hit with winter storm Virgil late
yesterday (Sunday). As of right now, they are
reporting 7.25" of snowfall in our area, which isn't a whole lot but it's
brought some things to a halt and others slow moving. Schools and other places
have cancelled and roads are slippery.
We got quite a surprise yesterday. My baby
brother from Texas pulled into town and sent me a mysterious text message. It
took me awhile to figure out what he was saying. The translation was "pick me up at
WalMart". He loves to surprise me. He's a hazmat hauler (flammable chemicals) but his
territory usually covers Texas and Louisiana only. Occasionally an order has to
come up north (New York) and he'll volunteer. On his way back south he'll come
through here.
Yesterday, however,
put him in a dilemma. We got hit by the snow storm. He stayed over-night then
assessed the situation when the sun came up this morning. At 5:00 this morning,
I was cooking him a big breakfast that
would hold him over for a few hours before he'd
have to stop again. We watched the weather channel, the local news and
even checked with the Indiana highway patrol to see what the roads were like
for him and his big rig. At 8am he decided to pull out, so we took him back
out to WalMart to get his truck. Our streets through town were a mess but from
what he heard, if he could get past Indianapolis the rest of the way south
would be clear. I'm sure he made it ok.
Update from our
local weatherman: "Storm winding
down with light snow still into the evening. Total snowfall in the City was
8.25 inches. The evening included Thundersnow last night with lightning and
thunder 3 times during heavy snowfall rates of 2 inches per hour." That is a phenomenon that seems to be happening more and more.... thunder and lightning during a snowfall.
Just heard from my
brother. He's ok, almost to Little Rock, with just 320 miles to home.
With my schedule being so
messed up the last couple days, I feel so disconnected and very tired. I even
took a nap, and I don't usually nap. They make me feel worse. I think I'm still going to bed early. I'm sure I
can get a couple pages of my book read before I fall asleep. Maybe. It's awful getting old. When I was younger I
was so spontaneous and would do things on a whim. No set schedules for me. I'd
bend with the wind. Now that I'm older, I'm one of those old folks my parents
talked about…. "she's set in her ways".
That's all I have
for today. I hope you had a great day.


Oh, Carol, you are not alone! I am set in my ways too! Getting off routine can really mess you up. It's just our turn, now! LOL
ReplyDeleteA great surprise, getting to see your brother! Sorry about the bad weather. This winter has sure been crazy, everywhere! We had 42 degrees this morning. It was in the 80s last week. Nuts.
Glad you got to see your brother for a little while anyway.
ReplyDeleteI too am set in my ways. Hard to believe I'm getting so old.
You are singing to the choir about being set in our ways. I have gotten worse about that...I cant jump and run like I used to at all, and my bedtime hours are getting earlier and earlier...lol I know it was good to see your brother and pray he has made it home safe and sound. We have another 'blah' day here, so will watch the idiot box, nap, nibble, and wait on another bedtime hour...talk about a boring life - I have it pegged!
ReplyDelete