Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hodgepodge Wed. 2-12-2014


I'm getting around late again. It's been a very busy day, but better late than never. Here's another episode in our hodgepodge journey.

1.What makes love last?

Understanding, communication plus total trust. I know this question was asked in honor of Valentine's Day, but for me, it's a little more than that. Today, my hubby and I celebrated our 48th anniversary. After all this time, I know what has kept us together. He started out being my best friend and he still is. That gave us the experience of being understanding, not trying to change either one of us. Then down through the years we learned to communicate properly. However, the most important is the trust. If you can't trust the one you love, then you don't love them.

2. The Beatles made their US debut fifty years ago this week. Are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite Beatles tune?

I was a fan years ago. I saw their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I'm no longer a fan. I didn't watch their show the other night and I didn't watch the rerun tonight. As for my favorite tune, I don't really have one.

3. Valentine's Day- your thoughts? Do you celebrate in any way? Do anything special for the people you love? Expect anything special from the people who love you?

See #1 above.... We don't celebrate Valentine's Day or do anything special. Our special day is the 12th and not the 14th.

4. Steak or burger... you have to choose. Now that that's settled, how do you like it? 

Steak! Medium well.

5. The Hodgepodge lands on the birth date (February 12th) of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America. Lincoln is quoted as saying,'Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character give him power.' Do you agree? Why or why not?

I'd never heard that, but it makes good sense. When a man gains power over anything or anyone, it can (and I said 'can' because not all men are the same, contrary to the popular saying)... it can go straight to his head. So I agree with President Lincoln's way of thinking.

6. Honest Abe's image is featured on the US penny (1 cent coin) so I'm wondering... what do you do with your pennies (or your country's equivalent)? It's been suggested the US stop making the penny, and two bills have been introduced proposing just that, but neither were approved. What say you?

We put most of our pennies in a jug, but we both carry a few just in case a cash purchase requires a few cents. I don't like the idea of losing them.

7. Do you think pop culture deserves serious study?

Wikipedia says this about pop culture...... "Heavily influenced by mass media, this collection of ideas permeates the everyday lives of the society. Popular culture is often viewed as being trivial and dumbed-down in order to find consensual acceptance throughout the mainstream." Well, we all know how corrupt the mass media is today and it does 'dumb-down' society. It's all been so readily accepted by people, they've come to be easily influenced and lead like sheep. Too many have lost the ability to think on their own. So, no, I don't think it deserves serious study. (sorry if I've been too blunt -- that's just what I was feeling)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I still have trouble believing it's been 48 years! I asked him tonight if he was ready to do another 48 and he said, (quote) "sure". So am I.

2 comments:

  1. 48 years is great and I wish you those other 48 together. I was a Beatles fan back when, but not now and I didnt even know there was a special about them on tv....lol Hope your Thursday is a good one. We have a 'white out' here, but sun coming this afternoon and melt most of it. I am ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never to blunt! You hit the nail right on the head. The media is corrupt. Baaaaaaa

    Congratulations on 48 years, Carol!! That is a wonderful milestone. I agree completely with your #1...trust (and communication).

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....