My past couple days have been very busy, but very nice. My brother David and his family are here from Texas for a visit this week. This time he brought his son with them. We haven't seen Mitchel in years. It's been so much fun talking with him again.
Yesterday I tried to get everyone together for a nice visit, but our daughter Lisa and her family couldn't make it. Daughter Lori and her family were here over the weekend and they got to see them for a couple hours before they had to head back to Michigan for their jobs and school today. We did have a great time.
We went up to our favorite restaurant last night. Our youngest daughter Teresa and 2 youngest grandsons, Marxon 9 and Bryan 7, went with us. We got a table in the back for all 9 of us. Marxen wanted to sit down at the end of the table. As he sat there waiting patiently for his food, he kept looking around at the people, acting a little more quiet than usual. Right before our food came, he walked around and whispered something to his mother. She got into her purse and handed him some money. It was part of his allowance money he's been saving for something special he wants. When the waitress came around to his end of the table, he said something to her and handed his $5 bill to her. All we heard was her say "of course, I'll take care of it". I figured out what he was doing. The rest of the family looked around at us with strange expressions on their faces.
Across the room sat a man that Bob and I have known for years. Jim is a Viet Nam veteran and always wears a cap that says so on the front. The waitress went to his table and handed him a receipt that said his bill was paid in full. He asked by who and she told him. As he got up to leave, he came over to our table, walking with the help of his walker, and talked to our grandson who looked up at him with the sweetest expression on his face and said, "you're welcome and thank you for your service to our country". I think Jim could have cried. He acted so surprised. He told Marxen that a 9 year old boy had never done anything like that for him. He patted Marxen on the shoulder and left. I looked at my husband and he had tears in his eyes, our daughter did too. We had to explain to my brother and the others what Marxen had done. They were all speechless. My brother said he'd never heard of such a thing. Our daughter said "that's my son".
We're all suppose to meet up with our sister Marilyn tomorrow when she gets off work, but now I'm wondering if we'll be able to. The weather forecast is for another winter storm. No one seems to know what we should be expecting tho'. We've heard everything from just rain, or rain and sleet, or 3-5" of snow. Some are even saying 8-10" of snow possible.
Until next time..........
God bless Marxen!! Your daughter has raised him to be a fine young man! That is the nicest thing I've heard in a long time! Thanks for sharing it with us. How great that you had such good family time last week!!
ReplyDeleteGrandma...your pride is showing! And rightfully so! What a remarkable young man! Thank you for sharing that.
ReplyDeleteWell, I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks. What a wonderful young man. He was certainly taught to care for others and I admire this young boy.
ReplyDelete