Wednesday, April 23, 2014

4-23 Hodgepodge

We have another great list of questions today compliments of Joyce. Here is the link to join in.  Click Here

1. April 22nd is Earth Day. Are you inspired by nature? In what way?

I'm always in awe of nature. All around us, nature is where it should be, doing what it should do, and often we just ignore it. Just a simple little thing like watching the birds go about their busy life. Right now, in Ohio, the sun is warming the ground and the flowers are breaking through the dirt, growing fast so they can produce colorful flowers. No human is controlling them. 

My family knows how I love to watch the birds, and this Easter they gave me a new bird feeder for my yard. This one has solar lights so the birds can have a late night snack. (not really but it sounds good). lol 

2. Down to earth, four corners of the earth, move heaven and earth, not have an earthly chance, or salt of the earth... which earthly idiom have you most recently encountered? Explain.

I am down to earth. What you see is what you get. I've never put on airs or tried to act like someone I'm not. When I encounter someone who is acting that way, I can tell and I'm no longer interested in what they have to say. I know they're not telling me the truth.

3. Share one piece of advice you might give a newly engaged couple.

Our only grand-daughter became engaged just recently. The one piece of advice I have for them is to keep the communication open between them and right now, before they marry, learn how to talk about their finances. For our grand-daughter, I would tell her to be involved in that area. Don't sit back and let him handle everything. She needs to know how to do it too. I've seen many women who've done that, and if something happens to her husband, she's lost. She doesn't know what to do.

4. When did you last engage someone to perform a job, task, service, home repair, or improvement? On a scale of 1-10 (ten being the best) how would you rate their work and/or your satisfaction with the job or service provided?

Last summer we had a new roof put on the house. Then we had a horrible winter with lots of snow and ice. As a result, we lost some of the shingles off the highest peak. Hubby called the installers to tell them what happened. They came down the next morning and fixed it. On a scale of 1-10? I give them an 8. They do a good job and their customer service is very good, but I can't give them a 10 because the new roof should have stood up better and not need the repair this soon.

5. When did you last find yourself engaged in small talk? Are you awkward or an expert or somewhere in between?

I always feel awkward, especially when we're both struggling to find something interesting we can share. I hate that feeling.

6. What was the last historic place you visited?

Our own library. John Sanford Brumback, in the spring of 1862, with $5,000 in gold, moved his wife and children to Van Wert, Ohio, a sparsely populated county. He opened a dry goods store. In 1884, he sold his store and bought a controlling interest in the Van Wert National Bank. He became President of the bank, helped create and finance many companies and became known as a keen businessman, banker and philanthropist.

In 1890, twelve women in Van Wert formed the Van Wert Ladies Library Association to establish a subscription library for residents in the area. The library, which contained 1,400 books, became a free city library in 1896 as a result of a city tax. Mr. Brumback offered financial support because he believed that all county residents should have access to a free public library. After Mr. Brumback died, his son Orville S. Brumback, also had great foresight for he was responsible for enabling legislation that was passed by the Ohio Legislature that approved the first tax-supported public library in the United States — the Brumback Library.
(I copied and pasted from the web site so I could get the facts right.) Here is their  Web page

7. The world would be a better place if we just __________

___  "cleaned house". Get B.O. out of the U.S. White House, take back our country, back to the Constitution and put God back in our schools.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm appalled at all the horrible TV shows being broadcast in prime time for the younger generation to see. I keep seeing the previews for a new one showing this Thursday called "Bad Teacher". When I was in school, we were taught to have respect for our teachers, but now everything is different, to the point of showing something like this teacher on the show talking about her ability to cheat, admits to drinking and is flaunting her body in the school. What is this doing to the kids? I know my opinion right now might be wrong since all I've seen is a 30 second clip, so I will give them the benefit of doubt and watch the show Thursday night, just to find out. 




3 comments:

  1. Our library is also an older building, and really nice, but I don't think its quite as charming as yours. I'd be happy spending a few hours in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that it's warmed up for y'all. I know it's been a long brutal winter up your way. I hope the good weather holds. I'm a nature girl too. I don't need any made up commie holiday to remind me how wonderful God's creation is. [Not being snarky to you, that for 'them'. *wink*]

    I love Libraries but worry there is no future in them. It seems that young folks don't read anymore. I grew up in a small town in Central Florida and would spend my spare hours in the local Library. It was a social hour, a time for research and discovery plus we got a lot of studying done. But I do enjoy reading. Always have. Reading and nature was a big escape for me from an unhappy, sometimes frighteningly brutal, home life. Whenever I travel, I sometimes get to visit their local libraries. There's something comforting in that ... or maybe I'm just hopelessly weird.

    7. Amen, amen, AMEN to infinity ... :)) You've got good sense Miss Carol.

    Modern TV shows and films are appalling. It reflects how lost our nation has become. (See #7 - that's how he got elected)

    God bless! ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your #7, indeed!! I am also appalled by some of the things on TV, too. No wonder kids have no respect for anyone, including themselves. A great Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....