Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge 11-19-2014


After being almost invisible for a few weeks, what better way to come back but with a Wednesday Hodgepodge. So, grab your cup of coffee or tea and sit back. I hope I don't put you back to sleep.

1. What's something you take for granted, that when you stop and think about it you feel truly grateful for?

I've been trying to narrow this down to just one, but I'm still having trouble. I must confess that I often take my dear husband and family for granted, when I get to feeling that they'll always be there for me. Wrong! I must try harder to remember on a daily basis to thank God for each one of them. I don't know what I'd do without them. I'm blessed for having them in my life. 


2. The color brown - love it or no? What's your favorite shade of brown? Most loved something in your home or closet in a shade of brown?

Yes, I like the color brown..... the chestnut brown of my daughter's hair, the walnut brown of my grandmother's antique stand in my living room, the brown color of my coffee beans, my favorite chocolate bars and the beautiful warm brown color of my newborn great-grandson's eyes.

3. What's something you're looking forward to today?

Nothing.... unless I count the warmer temperatures we're suppose to have this afternoon. We've been hit by this arctic blast way too early this year. 

4. The word 'feminism' is not new, but it has been generating all kinds of headlines in recent days and months. What do you think/feel when you hear the word? If you're a woman, do you want to be described as a feminist? Why or why not?

I used to think of feminism as a woman who enjoys being a woman and acts like a lady.  I don't want to be described as a feminist because ever since the 60's it has taken on a whole different meaning. Today's feminist is a rebel, a fighter for women's rights, which in itself is fine, but she's not what I consider a woman. She's tough. She's angry. She swears. And I see her going nose-to-nose against all men. 
Now don't get all upset with me.....  this is just my opinion --- and I'm "old school". 

5. What's something you personally can't eat without making a mess?

(A Big Mac) And spaghetti. I've never found which way is the right way of eating spaghetti. Do I twirl it on the fork and get way too much for my mouth so I end up having to bite off the long ones and let them fall back onto the plate. Or do I cut it into small pieces and scoop them up? Or do I pick up some long ones and slurp up the ones hanging on my chin? No matter which way I do it, the sauce is either going to be on my shirt, my chin or splashed up onto my glasses. ;) Messy, but still a favorite.

6. When did you last surprise someone with a little gift or when were you last surprised by someone with a little gift? What was it?

I can't think of anything. We very seldom do gifts... only on birthdays and Christmas. 

7. Share a favorite quote, saying, song lyric or scripture relating to gratitude.

"This is the day which the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"  Psalms 118:24

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Yesterday was our youngest grandson's 8th birthday. Our daughter had planned on several of us to come over to their house for cake and games. Hubby and I were looking forward to seeing the grandkids, and never gave a thought to the road conditions after the snow storm Saturday night. We just automatically figured the state trucks had them cleared off by then. The highway did have a lot of icy spots and the snow was blowing bad, but we made it there and back safely. We had a great time. I'm glad the weather didn't scare us out of making the trip. 


5 comments:

  1. I suspect that a lot of women in 'new school' would feel exactly as you do about feminism. I don't think it's a generational issue, but an anger and liberal media-hyped issue. Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see you in the HP this week : ) We've got bitterly cold temps, but no snow at the moment. I love the Psalm you quoted...we sang a song to that one at summer camp, and it has stayed with me all my life. There are days I wake up singing it. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your thoughts. I do agree about the feminism. It's part of the reason our society is crumbling, too many women are pigs instead of ladies. I'm thankful to not be young any more.
    BTW, huge congrats on the new family addition! He's a cutie. I pray everyone is well and happy.
    God bless. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great Hodgepodge! I'm with you on #4!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with your grandson on his birthday! I'm with you 100% on the spaghetti LOL! I love, love, love your answer for brown...you have a hidden writing knack, I suspect!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment here....